This year, World Nomad wants to send one passionate individual to capture the diverse people, places and wildlife that make Tanzania an adventure hot-spot. You could be filming in the shadows of Mt. Kilimanjaro and exploring the landscape with the locals to tell the stories of community, sustainability and tourism in this unique part of the world.
Win a 12-day Travel Filmmaking Trip to Tanzania! Plus be mentored by a professional filmmaker. The scholarship recipient, along with the shortlist of the best films, will be published on the World Nomads website on August 9th, 2018.
- Open to aspiring travel filmmakers only!
- The scholarship is not open to professional filmmakers of any kind.
- If you’re still learning the craft of filmmaking and if creating films is responsible for less than 25% of your income, then you’re eligible to apply.
- If you are still learning the craft of filmmaking and the majority of your income is not derived from filmmaking activities then you are eligible to apply.
- You need to be over 18 at the time of the application deadline (before July 10, 2018).
- n order for you to get the most of this mentorship, you will need to be able to understand and converse with your mentor, Brian Rapsey. Brian only speaks English, so while English does not have to be your first language, you will need to have conversational English for this scholarship.
- Free Flights: Receive round-trip airfare from your closest international airport to Tanzania.
- Professional Mentorship: Improve your skills on the field and during post-production under the mentorship of professional filmmaker Brian Rapsey.
- 12-day Trip: Capture the wildlife and communities of the Serengeti with help from adventure experts, OneSeed Expeditions. The winner will arrive in Tanzania on October 11 and depart October 23.
- Audio Gear: Record superior sound for your film with new microphones courtesy of RØDE Microphones.
- Camera Bags: Protect your gear with style with specialised camera bags and accessories from Langly.
- Travel Insurance: As always, travel insurance for the trip provided by World Nomads.
You’ll need to convince our judging panel through your application that you have the spirit of adventure and a passion for travel filmmaking. A good travel documentary should:
- Convey a strong narrative in English (or with English subtitles)
- Focus on a specific travel story within a 3 minute timeframe
- Show us your interviewing skills and ability to coax a good story from your subject
- Demonstrate strong filmmaking skills
- Show originality
- Be visually engaging
How to Apply for World Nomads Travel Film Scholarship
- Make a 3-minute documentary. Their challenge to you is to go out and interview an amazing adventurer or inspiring traveler and bring to life their compelling travel story around one of the following themes:
- Upload your film to YouTube or Vimeo: Please make sure your video is publicly accessible.
- Complete the application form. In 1500 characters or less, tell us why you should be the scholarship recipient and what winning this opportunity would mean to you. Your answer will hold considerable weight in the judging process.
Strictly one application per person. The application must be submitted in English or with English subtitles.
NOTE: Once you apply, you will not be able to go back and edit your application, so please make sure you are completely satisfied with your essay before you hit the submit button
Apply by July 10, 2018 at 11:59PM (EDT)