The Africa Region of the World Bank Group (WBG) is now accepting applications from Sub-Saharan nationals who are currently doctoral students and recent Ph.D. graduates for its 2021 Fellowship Program. The deadline for submission of applications for the World Bank Group Africa Fellowship Program is August 23, 2020.
Launched in 2013, the World Bank Group (WBG) Africa Fellowship Program targets young talented African nationals who are completing or recently completed a Ph.D. in an area relevant to the World Bank’s work. The fellowship program has been very successful since its inception, building a strong pipeline of young African talent interested in a career in development, in international institutions, African governments, think tanks, and academia.
World Bank Group Africa Fellowship Program Details.
The program offers chosen fellows a six-month assignment at World Bank Group (WBG) offices in Washington D.C. or in country offices to gain hands-on experience in the operations of the WBG. This includes knowledge generation and dissemination, design of global and country policies, and the building of institutions to achieve inclusive growth in developing countries. While benefitting from research and innovation in multiple sectors, fellows will also work on research, economic policy, technical assistance, and lending operations that contribute to the World Bank’s goal of eliminating poverty and increasing shared prosperity. Through the fellowship, they aim to build the capacity of the next generation of African change makers in development, policymaking and promote the goals of reducing poverty in the region.
World Bank Group Africa Fellowship Program Eligibility.
- Be a recent Ph.D. graduate (within three years of completion) or be enrolled in the last year of the Ph.D. program.
- Have an excellent command of English, both written and verbal
- Possess strong quantitative and analytical skills
- Be under the age of 32 by the closing of the application period
World Bank Group Africa Fellowship Program Benefits.
- Fellows are eligible to receive consultant fees, round-trip economy class air travel to Washington, D.C. or a WBG country office from their university or institution, and worker’s compensation insurance.
World Bank Group Africa Fellowship Program Selection Criteria.
The selection process consists of two phases:
- In the first phase, a short-list of candidates will be made available for hire for the different units of the WBG depending on applicants’ specialization. Applicants will be notified of about the status of their application or whether they have been shortlisted or not.
- In the second phase, the final list of fellows will be selected in consultation with the various units of the WBG. When the selection is complete, all shortlisted candidates will be informed of their selection status.
How to Apply for World Bank Group Africa Fellowship Program.
Interested candidates who meet the criteria listed above should apply by clicking on the “Apply” button below:
Selected candidates will be notified and, upon acceptance, will be hired as short-term consultants for six months starting January 2021.