World Meteorological Organization (WMO) is holding a photography competition with the theme “Water Ways”, exploring how this vital resource impacts our lives. With global population growth spurring both water demand and exposure to extreme events like floods and droughts, water issues are high on the global agenda. To effectively and sustainably manage our water resources, we need to know where they are, in what quantity and quality, how variable they are, and how they will evolve in the foreseeable future.
World Meteorological Organization (WMO) is looking for 12 photographs that highlight precious water sources as well as illustrate the risks and opportunities that come with managing this life-sustaining resource.
Interested photographers are invited to submit their images until 1 December 2017. WMO social media followers have until 31 December to select their favourite photographs out of 30 finalists. A WMO jury of experts will then make the final choice, based on artistic quality and geographical balance.
Winning entries will be featured in the special Water issue of the WMO Bulletin to be published in 2018 and in an exhibition during the WMO Global Conference on Prosperity through Hydrological Services, slated to take place at WMO Headquarters in Geneva from 7 to 9 May 2018. The images will also be shown on the WMO website and WMO social media channels.
WMO Water Photo Competition Submission Guidelines.
- All photos must be a minimum size of 10cms to 15cms and in high resolution (minimum 300 DPI).
- All photos must be submitted in JPEG or TIFF format (with little compression to preserve image quality.
- Black and white photographs as well as coloured photographs will be accepted.
- N.B. WMO will require a higher-resolution for shortlisted photographs of at least A3 (42 x 30 cm or 30 x 16.5 inches) at 300 dpi, minimum size of 9000 x 5000 in pixels.
- All photos must be clearly captioned, including a title, a location and the date of the photograph
WMO Water Photo Competition Judging Criteria.
Entries will narrowed down to a shortlist by a WMO panel of experts in hydrology as well as experienced professional photographers. Entries will be judged on:
- Technical quality, clarity, and composition
- Visual impact
- Novelty and flair for the unexpected
WMO will publish shortlisted photos on Facebook, allowing Facebook fans to vote for their favourite photos. The competition will also be promoted via Instagram and Twitter. Voting on photographs will be restricted to once daily per IP address. The WMO jury will have the final say on the 12 photos to be featured in the WMO Bulletin and the conference. Other shortlisted photographs will be featured on the WMO social media channels.
WMO Water Photo Competition Terms & Conditions.
Entrants must also complete our designated Entry Form, with all fields accurately completed in full.
- An individual entrant may submit up to three separate entries in total. Subsequent entries will not be deemed valid.
- The Contest period closes 1 December 2017.
- Results will be announced by 15 January 2018. The decision is final and binding.
- The Contest is open to all individuals and groups, regardless of age or location. Employees of the WMO Secretariat are prohibited from Contest entry.
- Entrants under 18 years of age may participate with the permission of their parents or legal guardians. If the photo of an entrant under 18 years of age is chosen, and written parental or guardian permission cannot be provided, the WMO has the right to reject the entry.
- Entrants are required to obtain permission from all persons appearing on photo. If an entrant is chosen winner, and such written permission cannot be provided, the WMO has the right to reject the entry.
- Use of copyrighted materials, is prohibited unless the entrant has written permission to use such materials. If written permission cannot be provided, the WMO has the right to reject the entry.
- Entrants of all photos selected as winner will be notified via e‐mail. If no response is provided within seven days of notification, the winner shall forfeit any and all claims, and will be disqualified.
- The entrant retains the rights to his/her photographs; however, by entering the photo contest, he/she grants WMO a non-exclusive license to display, distribute, reproduce and create derivative works of the entries and texts, in whole or in part, in any media now existing (such as publications, websites, and social media) or subsequently developed, for any educational, promotional, publicity, exhibition, archival, scholarly and all other standard purposes of WMO. Due credit will be given to the entrant each time his/her photo is used, wherever feasible. Photos and text will not be used for commercial purposes.
- Photos that have been awarded or given honourable mentions in any photo contest, either online or in print, and photos that have already been used in print or online publications (including but not limited to posters, online and print media, publicity materials, books, and articles) are not eligible. However, you may submit photos that you have already used in your personal or social spaces such as blogs, Facebook and Flickr.
- Minimal cropping is permitted. Minor adjustments, including dodging and burning, sharpening, contrast and slight color adjustments, are acceptable as long as the integrity of the original photo is maintained.
- The WMO will not be responsible or liable for: a) any problem, loss or damage due to delay and/or failure in receiving and sending the entry as a result of any network, communication or system interruption or error, b) any error, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, site failure or unauthorised access to entries, as a result of use of the designated YouTube channel and/or website, c) any problem, damage or loss of whatever nature to any entrant, or their authorised representatives, resulting from their participation in the Contest.
- The WMO reserves the right to cancel, modify, suspend or delay the Contest in the event of unforeseen circumstances beyond its reasonable control. The WMO reserves the right to change, amend, delete or add to these Contest terms and conditions without prior notice at any time, and the entrants shall be bound to such changes.
- All decisions are final.
How to Enter WMO Water Photo Competition.
Take a striking photo which illustrates the theme “Water Ways” and meets our submission guidelines.
Fill out the mandatory online ENTRY FORM and attach your photo and submit via a dedicated page on the WMO website. Don’t forget a short explanatory caption and location for your image!
The deadline for entry is 1 December 2017. Results will be announced before 15 January 2018.
No cash prize will be offered to winners of the photo contest.