Apply for the Wits-TUB Urban Lab Interdisciplinary Bilateral Postgraduate Studies Programme Masters Scholarships for the 2018/2019 academic year for studies in the School of Architecture and Planning, Wits University, Johannesburg, South Africa. The deadline for submission of applications is 30th September, 2018.
By recognising that cities and their inhabitants safeguard global common goods, such as climate, economic prosperity, social integration, democratization and political stability, a profound change in policy responses is needed to enable truly transformative actions, motivating changes in the way we use, build and govern the urban environments.
The bilateral Wits-TUB Urban Lab programme supported by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) seeks to improve graduate education in urban fields across sub-Saharan Africa. Both lead partners, the Habitat Unit at the School of Architecture of the Technische Universität Berlin, and the School of Architecture and Planning at University of the Witwatersrand offer a new urban-oriented graduate and postgraduate training and capacity building programme that would effectively address the challenges and needs outlined above.
14 fully funded scholarships will be awarded on a competitive basis to South Africans and citizens from other African countries across the following degrees:
- MSc in Development Planning
- Masters in Urban Studies in the fields of
- Housing and Human Settlements
- Sustainable Energy Efficient Cities
- Urban Politics and Governance
- Urban Management
Wits-TUB Urban Lab focus
The programme includes bilateral exchange activities, workshops and conferences implemented through the Wits-TUB Urban Lab and will focus on four innovation areas that address SDG implementation in urban areas:
- Politics and policy of the urban
- Understanding complex urban systems
- Managing change processes
- Coproducing knowledge between theory and practice (Wits-TUB Urban Studio)
- The scholarship recipients will benefit from guest lectures, joint supervision scheme and a summer school at Wits University.
- Scholarships are open to :
- South African citizens
- Citizens from other countries in sub-Saharan Africa
- Applicants must possess the requisite qualifications to be granted the scholarship.
- There is no age limit applying to the scholarships for study purposes. However, at the time of the application, no more than 6 years should have passed since an applicant graduated from his/her previous bachelor or master studies.
- All scholarship applicants must have applied for admission to the relevant degree (as per above list) at Wits
The masters scholarship covers the duration of one academic year. Successful candidates will be expected to sign a contract stipulating the conditions of the scholarship.
The scholarship includes:
- Full tuition fee
- Monthly stipend (living expenses including: subsistence expences, accommodation, other costs)
- Travel from home country/place of origin is covered.
- Costs of Summer/Spring School in Berlin
- Please download the full call for these scholarships by clicking here.
- For the dedicated call for the Urban Management scholarships, click here.
- Please download the application form which applies for both the above calls by clicking click here.
For any other related enquiries contact [email protected]