University of Pretoria (UP) in partnership with the Mastercard Foundation (MCF) is currently accepting applications from academically talented yet economically disadvantaged young people in Africa for its 2021 Scholarship Program. The deadline for submission of application for the University of Pretoria MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program (MCFSP) is 18th September, 2020.
In partnership with the Mastercard Foundation (MCF), UP is currently offering scholarships for high achieving African students interested in studying at postgraduate levels, commencing in January 2021.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) targets academically talented yet economically disadvantaged young people in Africa who will contribute to the transformation of the continent through their knowledge, skills, attitudes and values evidenced by their leadership. Community service and internships are essential components of the Program. The MCFSP offers a full scholarship to selected students who have been provisionally admitted to study towards a postgraduate degree at UP. Graduates must return to their home countries on completion of their studies and give back to their communities.
MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program at University of Pretoria- Areas.
- Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences
- Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences
- Faculty of Humanities for entry into the Honours or Masters (Political Studies or International Studies only)
- Faculty of Engineering – continuing students are eligible to apply
MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program at University of Pretoria Eligibility.
- Candidates should be citizens from Africa.
- Applicants should come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds and demonstrate financial neediness.
- Candidates should demonstrate leadership potential and ought to be involved in a giving back project eg. in a community, at school, church etc
- Academic excellence is paramount and students have to maintain a high academic average at all times.
University of Pretoria MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program Benefits.
If your application is successful, the Program will cover the following:
- Full tuition fees
- Accommodation and meals in a UP residence or UP-accredited accommodation
- A modest monthly stipend
- Textbooks and printed material
- Medical aid cover for the duration of the study
- VISA costs
- Reasonable travel costs (including flight ticket) to and from your home
- Leadership development opportunities
- Academic advising and counselling support
University of Pretoria MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Selection Criteria.
- Selection will focus on prior academic achievement, but also on the fit of the applicant to the ethos of the Program, which is focused on leadership and community development for Africa in addition to academic success.
- Successful applicants must be committed to completing their qualifications in minimum time, returning to their home countries and giving back to their communities.
How to Apply for University of Pretoria MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program.
- In order to apply for the scholarship, you MUST have been admitted into a degree at UP. You will need your student number to complete the MCFSP application, which must be accompanied by your academic records and other supporting documents as outlined in the application form.
- Be sure to include documents that support what your family, guardian or foster
parents can afford to pay. Examples of such documentation include bank
statements, pay slips and loan documents.
- Only students admitted to full-time study at UP will be considered for the scholarship.
- Only prospective students who cannot afford to pay the full fees are eligible to apply. Do not apply for funding if you or your parents, guardian or foster parents can afford the full tuition fees.
- All the information provided must be accurate and true. Any falsification of
information on the application form may result in disqualification from consideration for a scholarship.
Applications to study at the UP open on 1 March 2020 and close on 31 August 2020. Applications for the MCFSP open on 1 May 2020 and close on 18 September 2020.
- Apply for admission at the University of Pretoria online at www.up.ac.za/apply
- Click on the link below for the Postgraduate scholarship application form.
Share This Post On: