Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the UNHCR Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative (DAFI) scholarship programme 2018.
UNHCR’s scholarship programme, the Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative (DAFI), enables access to higher education for refugee students in their country of asylum since 1992.
The DAFI programme provides undergraduate refugee students with scholarships that cover a wide range of costs: from tuition fees and study materials, to food, transport and accommodation.
To support their academic achievements and skill development, DAFI scholars receive additional support through close monitoring, academic preparatory and language classes based on students’ needs, as well as psychosocial support, mentoring and networking opportunities.
DAFI Scholarship Eligibility.
- Applicants must be a refugee with recognised refugee status;
- Have successfully completed secondary schooling to a high standard;
- Have no other means of support for university studies;
- Select a course of study that is likely to lead to employment in the country of origin with maximum three to four years duration;
- Not be older than 28 years at the beginning of studies;
- Have no other family member receiving a DAFI scholarship.
As of 2018, DAFI scholarships are available in 50 countries, namely:
- Sub-Sahara Africa: Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Chad, Cote d’Ivoire, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia & Zimbabwe.
- Middle East & Northern Africa (MENA): Algeria, Egypt, Kurdistan Region of Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Mauritania, Morocco, Syria & Yemen.
- Asia & Pacific: Bangladesh, India, Iran, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan & Tajikistan.
- The Americas: Ecuador.
- Europe: Azerbaijan, Russian Federation, Turkey & Ukraine.
DAFI Scholarship Benefits.
- The DAFI program scholarships cover a wide range of costs: from tuition fees and study materials, to food, transport and accommodation.
How to Apply for DAFI Scholarship.
- Check in the list above if there is a current DAFI Programme in your country of asylum;
- Check if you meet the above-mentioned criteria;
- You can contact the respective office by emailing your country of interest in the following contact form.
- Complete the country specific application form and submit as indicated on the form.