Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the UNESCO/People’s Republic of China (The Great Wall) Co-Sponsored Fellowships Programme for the 2019/2020 academic year. The deadline for submission of applications is 15th March, 2019.
The Government of the People’s Republic of China has placed at the disposal of UNESCO for the academic year 2019-2020 seventy-five (75) fellowships for advanced studies at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. These fellowships are for the benefit of developing Member States in Africa, Asia–Pacific, Latin America, Europe and North America and Arab region.
Tenable at a selected number of Chinese universities, these fellowships are intended for scholars who plan to pursue advanced studies or undertake individual research with periodic guidance from the assigned supervisor in China for a duration of one year. Selected candidates will undertake their studies in the host universities as visiting scholars. Most of the study programmes will be conducted in English. Selected candidates will undertake their studies in the host universities as visiting scholars. In exceptional cases, candidates may be required to study Chinese language before taking up research or studying in their fields of interest.
Twenty-five (25) of the 75 fellowships are especially intended for candidatures from the Teacher Training Institutions supported by UNESCO-CFIT Project in the 10 African countries to pursue an Advanced Training Programme for Education Administrators and Teacher Educators at East China Normal University.
UNESCO/People’s Republic of China (The Great Wall) Co-Sponsored Fellowships Programme Eligibility.
- Applicants applying for General Scholar programs must not be older than the age of forty-five (45) and have completed at least two years of undergraduate study; and those who applying for Senior Scholar programmes must be a master’s degree holder or an associate professor (or above) and not older than the age of fifty (50).
- English proficiency is required.
- Be in good health, both mentally and physically.
- AFRICA – 46 Member States: Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Togo, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- ASIA AND THE PACIFIC – 38 Member States: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, Cook Islands, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Fiji, India, Indonesia, Iran (Islamic Republic of), Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kyrgyzstan, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nauru, Nepal, Niue, Palau, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Viet Nam
- ARAB STATES – 13 Member States: Algeria, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Palestine, Sudan, Syrian Arab Republic, Tunisia, Yemen
- LATIN AMERICA AND THE CARIBEAN – 26 Member States:Argentina, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Venezuela
- EUROPE AND NORTH AMERICA – 12 Member States:Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Republic of Moldova, The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Montenegro, Poland, Serbia, Ukraine
How to Apply for UNESCO/People’s Republic of China (The Great Wall) Co-Sponsored Fellowships Programme.
Read carefully the Announcement letter, especially the attached ANNEX II, for UNESCO/China Co-Sponsored Fellowships Programme 2019-2020 to understand the requirements for eligible candidatures and the procedures for the submission of application.
Contact the National Commission for UNESCO of your country to enquire the application procedures at national level. Click here for the information to contact the National Commissions for UNESCO.
Applicants are encouraged to contact in advance with their target Chinese universities and apply for the pre-admission. For the applicants who have received the pre-admission letters from by the time of submission, please attach the letters in your supporting documents.
Prepare your application documents (in English or Chinese) properly according to the requirements prescribed in ANNEX II.
Submit your application to the National Commission for UNESCO of your country.
NOTE: As National Commission for UNESCO of the invited countries will select and transmit the applications of nominated candidates to UNESCO Paris Headquarter by 15 March 2019 at the latest, applicants are advised to submit their application to the National Commissions as early as possible.
As soon as You are informed by the National Commission for UNESCO of your country that you are nominated as a candidate for this programme, you should complete the online application and submit all the supporting documents on the online application system of China Scholarship Council (http://studyinchina.csc.edu.cn/#/login). Click here to see the instructions for your online application.
Note: Hard copies of application documents are no longer required and it is mandatory for each nominated candidate to submit his/her application in the online application system. Candidates should mention their serial number of online application when their applications are submitted to UNESCO. Any application without online registration will not be considered.
Your online application form, along with the endorsement letter from the National Commission for UNESCO of your country and all your application documents should be submitted to Mr Stoyan Bantchev, Chief of the Participation Programme and Fellowships Section by e-mail: email@example.com, with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com, by 15 March 2019 at the latest.