United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) Internship programme 2018.
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) were adopted in September 2015 in New York, as the successor to the unfinished business of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). The innovative idea of goal oriented planning pioneered, by the UNDP Millennium Project during the implementation of the MDGs, gained traction in Nigeria when MDGs needs assessment and costing was used by Nigeria as a basis for a ten-year development strategy (2006-2015).
Across Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) too, SDGs-based planning has become a major plank in the pursuit of pro poor policy initiatives in the fight against poverty. Unlike the MDGs, the integrated focus of the Agenda 2030 and the SDGs require an integrated approach incorporating the cross-sectoral linkages of policies, trade-offs and policy-synergies. This is evidenced in the number of SSA countries, including Nigeria, Malawi, Senegal and Cote d’Ivoire that are currently undertaking integrated SDG policy design as a basis for scaling up public investments in social and physical infrastructure towards achieving the Agenda 2030.
While the SDGs are not legally binding, governments are expected to take ownership and establish national frameworks for the achievement of the 17 Goals. Countries have the primary responsibility for follow-up and review of the progress made in implementing the Goals, which will require quality, accessible and timely data collection. Regional follow-up and review will be based on national-level analyses and contribute to follow-up and review at the global level.
To this end, Inclusive Growth Unit is lead hire an intern to support SDGs implementation and monitoring. The intern will be supporting the State and Federal governments to design strategies for SDG implementation and data collection to ensure that SDGs is achieved by 2030 at both state and national level.
|Location :||Abuja, NIGERIA|
|Application Deadline :||30-Nov-17 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Time left :||7d 19h 15m|
|Type of Contract :||Internship|
|Post Level :||Intern|
|Languages Required :|
|Duration of Initial Contract :||6 months|
UNDP Internship Programme Eligibility & Conditions.
Applicants to the UNDP internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation.
- UNDP internship programme does not provide a salary or remuneration for the internship;
- All the expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring Government or institution;
- UNDP accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
- The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed;
- Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UNDP during the period of the internship or for six months immediately following the expiration date of internship;
- The intern must provide proof of enrollment in health insurance plan;
- Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity;
- The purpose of the Internship Programme is not to lead to further employment with UNDP, but to complement an intern’s studies; Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of an internship.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP Internship Programme Duties, Responsibilities & Competencies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support State and Federal governments in SDG data collection
- Support in monitoring and evaluation of set target and achievements at both national and state level.
- Analyze data and information that will inform State and Federal government (policy makers) of the drivers and bottlenecks to sustainable development in the State and Federal level
- Support to develop long term plan for SDG implementation
- Support in organizing Multi-stakeholder consultative forums
- In close collaboration with States and Federal government, setting of nationally-relevant targets.
- Document best practices in SDG implementation at local level.
- Support policy formulation for best planning at both State and Federal level.
- Carry out any other duties that may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done
Data Collection and Analysis
- Ability to collect both primary and secondary data and analyse the data.
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
UNDP Internship Programme Required Skills & Experience.
- First Degree in Economics or Social Sciences. Must have been enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher).
- Knowledge of sustainable development issues at both national and sub-national government
- Has ability to collect time series SDGs data, as well as legal and regulatory texts and policies of the relevant SDGs indicators.
- Should be familiar with statistical tools developed for analysis
- Should be familiar with Nigerian socio-economic situation
- Should possess excellent qualitative and quantitative skills.
- Good written and oral communication skills in English
- Knowledge of at least one Nigerian language
- Computer literacy skills
How to Apply for UNDP Internship Programme.
If you are experiencing difficulties with online job applications, please contact email@example.com.