Thomson Foundation is now accepting entries form young mobile content creators for its 2020 Mobile Journalism Competition. The deadline for submission of entries for the Thomson Foundation Mobile Journalism Competition is 30th March, 2020.
The Thomson Foundation mobile journalism competition is a leading showcase for mobile journalism (‘mojo’) talent. Now in its sixth year, and this time in partnership with Mojofest – a global celebration of mobile content creators – we are once again inviting entries.
If you think you have what it takes to be the next mojo star, then submit a feature story or news report filmed and edited entirely on a mobile device, which excites, intrigues and surprises and demonstrates impact and creativity.
This challenge is all about learning and doing. You’ll need to take part in, and complete, a combination of online courses on mobile journalism and then make a film entirely on a smartphone.
It’s a rigorous competition. Workshops will run throughout March and then, by the end, you’ll be required to produce a video portrait of a change maker in your community.
The competition is a great opportunity to build and develop your video production and storytelling skills. Entrants will follow step by step exercises under the guidance of the foundation’s finest trainers and mentors. You will be required to learn to use a mobile phone to:
- Capture quality images and video
- Capture quality audio
- Film a video interview
- Edit video
- Tell a story using video
- Capture and express emotion through image and video
Thomson Foundation Mobile Journalism Competition Eligibility & Requirements.
- The competition is open to entrants aged 18 or over.
- Only one entry per person. Entries on behalf of another person will not be accepted and joint submissions are not allowed.
In order to take part in the competition, you will need to complete four specific assignments, one each week throughout March 2020. These will include the following tasks:
- Participate in the global photowalk and share your top photos with the organisers
- Create and share two video sequences
- Record and share an interview
- Create and publish a video story on a change-making member of your community
The competition includes taking part in and producing e-learning content, interactive lives and feedback with Thomson Foundation’s experts, peer to peer interaction, as well as submitting video work.
Thomson Foundation Mobile Journalism Competition Benefits.
- The judges will pick the best stories with the overall winner receiving an all-expenses-paid trip to Mojofest in London between May 13 – 14, 2020.
- At least five others will be shortlisted for outstanding content and each participant who completes the programme will be issued with a certificate of achievement.
Thomson Foundation Mobile Journalism Competition Judging Criteria.
Participants will be scored for a mixture of work completed in the duration of the competition and the final film produced. Judges will consider the following criteria:
- Your submissions (50%)
- Your successful completion of at least one of the mojo courses available: (30%)
- Your feedback and engagement with your peers (20%)
How to Enter Thomson Foundation Mobile Journalism Competition.
Interested candidates who meet the criteria listed above should apply by clicking on the “Apply” button below:
The closing date of the competition is 11.59pm (UK time) on March 30, 2020 (deadline to sign up is March 15, 2020). Entries received outside this time period will not be considered.
Share This Post On: