Entries are invited from girls around the world for the 2019 Technovation Challenge. The deadline for submission for entries is 20th March 2019.
Technovation offers girls around the world the opportunity to learn the skills they need to emerge as tech entrepreneurs and leaders. Every year we invite girls to identify a problem in their community, and then challenge them to solve it.
Girls work in teams to build both a mobile app and a business plan to launch that app, supported by mentors and guided by our curriculum.
Technovation’s curriculum takes students through 4 stages of launching a mobile app startup, inspired by the principles of design thinking:
- Ideation : Identify a problem in the community
- Technology : Develop a mobile app solution
- Entrepreneurship : Build a business plan to launch the app
- Pitch : Bring the business to market
Technovation Challenge Eligibility.
- To be eligible to participate in Technovation as a student, you must be between the ages of 10 to 18 as of August 1, 2019 and identify as female.
- To be fully registered, you must form or join a team. Teams can range in size from 1-5 girls. No more than 5 girls are allowed to join a team. You can only join one team.
Your team’s division – Junior or Senior – depends on the age of all team members.
- Junior Division: Team members are between 10-14 years old as of August 1, 2019
- Senior Division: Team members are between 15-18 years old as of August 1, 2019
- In order to participate, all students must be between the ages of 10 to 18 as of August 1, 2019.
- All students must identify as female. No males can enter the competition.
- Teams are composed of 1 to 5 students. No more than 5 students are allowed to join a team.
- Students can only join 1 team.
- Divisions are based on the age of the oldest student on the team.
Note: These are the general rules for Technovation mentors. Please check with your local Regional Ambassador if there any rules that are specific to your region.
- Mentors must be over the age of 18, unless special permission is granted from Technovation.
- Mentors can be Technovation alumni.
- Mentors can join more than one team.
- In order to submit, mentors will need to complete their profile which includes:
- Consent form
- Background Check (if applicable)
- Bio completed
- Mentors/adults cannot write/produce any part of the submission for the students. This includes writing the code, writing the business plan, or producing the pitch video/demo video.
- Mentors cannot take credit for students’ work, use students’ work to their advantage, or copy/reproduce ideas without the explicit permission of all team members.
- Mentors may be allowed to become virtual judges but will not be allowed to judge submissions from their region.
- Mentors cannot receive any part of the student’s prize money if their team wins. It is intended for students only.
Students cannot ask mentors to code their app for them, write their business plan, or produce their pitch/demo video. All such submissions will be ineligible for the competition.
Technovation Challenge Cost & Benefits.
The Technovation curriculum is FREE. All you need is up to five middle school or high school girls, a safe place to meet, a laptop with internet. Teams may purchase smartphones to test the apps they create, but this can also be done in a limited way through a web-based phone emulator on App Inventor.
Technovation Challenge Key Dates.
- Registration Opens: October 1, 2018
- Official Season Launch: January 7, 2019
- Registration Deadline: March 20, 2019
- Submission Deadline: April 23, 2019
- World Pitch: August 2019
How to Register for Technovation Challenge.
Register by creating an account on my.technovationchallenge.org. Every individual student/mentor needs to register in order to join a team and submit.
You need an email address to register an account on my.technovationchallenge.org. Each account requires a unique email address.
Steps to register:
- Go to http://technovationchallenge.org/
- Click on Sign-up
- Enter the email and password and age. Once you click submit, it will bring you to a page where you will be able to see your STUDENT or MENTOR profile prompt based on your age.
- One you confirm your location, you will be registered
- This will take you to your dashboard where you will have a list of items to get done before you can join a team as either a student or a mentor.