Sun Yat-sen University (SYSU) is an important base for conducting scientific research, inheriting cultural and academic traditions and training high-level talents in South China. Being one of the leading universities in China and the world as well, SYSU is a comprehensive multi-disciplinary university. It enjoys a profound tradition of international cooperation and exchange in education with universities outside its home country. To improve its educational influence in the region in an overall way and to attract more students from all over the world, SYSU has set up the “Undergraduate Scholarship Programme for International Students”, in support of outstanding students from countries along the Belt and Road to pursue bachelor’s degrees at SYSU.
Sun Yat-sen University Undergraduate Scholarship Eligibility.
- Applicants should be non-Chinese with a valid foreign passport, and meet requirements in the “Notice of Regulating Admission of International Students in Colleges and Universities” (83).
- Applicants should be in good health and aged between 18 to 25 (date of birth between 1stJanuary, 1993 to 30thAugust, 2000).
- Applicants should be friendly towards China, law-abiding, studious and well-conducted, without any records of violation of Chinese laws, regulations or school rules.
- Applicants should be high school graduates, with their grades ranking among the top, or with excellence in social services, sports, music, cultural activities or leadership.
- Language Proficiency:
- Liberal Arts, Economics and Managerial Science Majors: HSK 5 Certificate (with 180 points or above) or other equivalent Chinese Learning Certificates;
- Science, Engineering and Medical Science Majors: HSK 4 Certificate (with 180 points or above) or other equivalent Chinese Learning Certificates;
- Applicants who complete high school education with Chinese as the language of instruction should submit certificates of Chinese language proficiency issued by their schools and can be exempted from providing HSK Certificates after SYSU’s verification;
- Outstanding applicants who apply for the programme without adequate Chinese language proficiency must take a Chinese preparatory course for one academic Upon the completion of the course and the satisfaction of the language entry requirements, they can begin their undergraduate studies with Chinese as the language of instruction.
- Applicants should obtain a recommendation letter issued by the recommendation institutions* (refer to Appendix 1 for details) and be responsible for its authenticity.
Sun Yat-sen University Undergraduate Scholarship Benefits.
1. Scholarship Amount:
- Liberal Arts, Economics and Managerial Science Majors: RMB 56,000 yuan/person/academic year (including tuition fee RMB 26,000 yuan/person/academic year and living allowance RMB 30,000 yuan/person/academic year)
- Science and Engineering Majors: RMB 63,800 yuan/person/academic year (including tuition fee RMB 33,800 yuan/person/academic year and living allowance RMB 30,000 yuan/person/academic year)
- Medical Science Majors: RMB 78,000 yuan/person/academic year (including tuition fee RMB 48,000 yuan/person/academic year and living allowance RMB 30,000 yuan/person/academic year)
The tuition fee in the scholarship will be deducted directly; thus the scholarship recipient won’t have to pay for the tuition fee. Accommodation fee and comprehensive insurance for international students will be deducted from the living allowance in the scholarship, and the remaining amount will be transferred to the individual bank account of the recipient every month after enrolment and registration. However, the recipient shall be responsible for the fees of visa application, round-trip air tickets and physical examination, and all other fees.
2. Scholarship Granting Period:
- In principle, the scholarship will cover the normal study period of the undergraduate programme.
- Scholarship recipients without adequate Chinese language proficiency must take a Chinese preparatory course for one academic year, but the scholarship will cover the normal study period of the undergraduate programme and the period of the Chinese preparatory course as well.
- A scholarship review will be carried out by the university annually to assess the recipients’ academic and overall performance. Only recipients who pass the review can receive the scholarship funding in the following academic programme.
How to Apply for Sun Yat-sen University Undergraduate Scholarship.
Before 1stMarch, 2018, applicants should submit all application documents to the recommendation institutions in their home countries to obtain recommendation letters. Between 1stMarch, 2018 and 30thApril, 2018, they should sign up on http://application.sysu.edu.cn, sign in to fill in the application form under the “SYSU scholarship” programme in an accurate and complete manner, and upload scanned copies of all supporting documents as required (Only PDF, JPG, JPEG and PNG files are acceptable, and each file size should not exceed 2MB).To complete the application, applicants should click the “submit” button.
All supporting documents and requirements are as follows (Those supporting documents that are not in Chinese or English should be accompanied by a formal certified translation in Chinese or English):
Passport biographical page
1. A scanned colour copy should be submitted.
2. Applicants staying in China at the time of application should provide the scanned colour copy of passport pages with the Chinese visa and entry seal.
3. Applicants who have not yet been granted a passport at the time of application can upload a scanned copy of their identity documents. They should apply for a passport in their own countries afterwards, and send a scanned copy of their passport biographical pages to email@example.com before15thJune, 2018.
Graduation certificate of the highest level of education
1. Applicants in their last year of high school should submit a pre-graduation certificate provided by their schools.
2. Applicants who have graduated from high school should submit their high school graduation certificates.
Transcripts from the highest level of education
1. Applicants in their last year of high school should submit transcripts of all courses taken provided by their schools.
2. Applicants who have graduated from high school should submit transcripts of all courses taken during all the three school years and transcripts of the high school exit examination.
3. Applicants can also submit scores of international standardized tests, including SAT, ACT, A-level, AP and IB.
Applicants can refer to “Entrance Requirements” for more details.
Applicants should upload recommendation letters from the recommendation institutions.
Note: Institutions which have recommended more than one student should
send a name list of all applicants recommended to firstname.lastname@example.org before 30thApril, 2018.
Personal Statement should be written in Chinese or English and might include a self-introduction, memorable learning experience, interests and hobbies,
learning purposes, career plans after graduation, and so on.
Other supporting documents
Award Certificates or Experience Certificates
Apart from all the above supporting documents, applicants should also submit all other supporting documents or information accordingly as required by SYSU.
- After submitting the Application Form online, applicants do not need to send any duplicate copies of the supporting documents to SYSU in person or by post.
- The uploaded scanned copies of all supporting documents in the application system should be clear and readable. If the supporting documents fail to meet the requirements, the application will not be processed.
- Applicants should select two majors, indicating the order of sequence. During the processing of the application, SYSU will consider the majors accordingly. However, after admission, any change of major before registration is not allowed. Only after the completion of the courses in the first term of the major can scholarship recipients apply for changing their majors and attend the annual selection tests or interviews organized by SYSU in accordance with SYSU’s regulations on the management of undergraduate enrolment.
- Applicants should provide the name of the recommendation institutions, and names and contact information of referees on the application system. During the processing of the application, SYSU might verify applicants’ information by contacting the recommendation institutions.
- Applicants should give correct email addresses, telephone numbers and postal addresses and reply to emails from SYSU without delay during the processing of the application. Any failure to reply emails in time or provide supplementary documents within a certain period as required will be regarded as the applicants’ giving up on the application or admission SYSU may also revoke the scholarship granted to the applicants.
Apply Before: April 30, 2018.