St Andrews Prize for the Environment ….
The 2019 St Andrews Prize for the Environment is now open for entries. Individuals, multi-disciplinary teams or community groups are invited to submit entries. $100,000 USD for the winner and $25,000 USD for each of the other 2 finalists.The St Andrews Prize for the Environment is a joint environmental initiative by the University of St Andrews in Scotland. Deadline for application is Friday, 25 May 2018. Find out more below.
The St Andrews Prize for the Environment is a joint environmental initiative by the University of St Andrews in Scotland, which attracts scholars of international repute and carries out world-class teaching and research, and independent exploration and production company ConocoPhillips. Recognising significant contributions to environmental conservation, since its launch in 1998, the Prize has attracted more than 5,400 entries from around the world and donated approximately $2 million USD to environmental initiatives on a wide range of topics including biodiversity, sustainable development, urban re-generation, recycling, health, water and waste, renewable energy and community development. The submissions for the Prize are assessed by eminent Trustees from science, industry and government.
The primary objective of the Prize is to find innovative solutions to environmental challenges across the world. The solutions should be practical, scalable and able to be replicated in other places, combining good science, economic reality and political acceptability. The Prize offers people from all backgrounds around the world the chance to help transform their environmental ideas into reality and provides a network of connections and support.
St Andrews Prize for the Environment Benefit
$100,000 USD for the winner and $25,000 USD for each of the other 2 finalists.
St Andrews Prize for the Environment Eligibility
- Be related to sustainable development and be aligned with the UN Goals for Sustainable Development – explain the alignment.
- Be related to community progress allied with smart and innovative development and use of the earth’s environmental resources from air, land and sea.
- Be replicable from one geographic area to another and ideally be scalable in size.
- Have a clearly defined need for funding that will make a step change to the applicant’s aims.
- Have the ability to inspire others in the field.
- Contribute to the global pursuit of sustainability in the short to long-term.
How to Enter St Andrews Prize for the Environment
We aim to provide an easy and efficient process to help you enter your project into the St Andrews Prize for the Environment.
Please submit your project in two stages.
FIRST SUBMISSION ROUND
- Applications for this annual prize were invited from individuals, multi-disciplinary teams or community groups. Research projects will not be considered.
- The online entry form should be completed in English and clearly written for a general (rather than technical) audience.
- If your submission is unsuccessful you will be notified.
- If your submission is to be considered further, you will be contacted and advised on how to enter the second submission round.
SECOND SUBMISSION ROUND
- For the second submissions stage you will be required to provide a more detailed summary of your project which will include a short video. More information on this submission round will be communicated to you in due course.
- All second round entries will then be judged and finalists shortlisted.
- If unsuccessful you will also be notified.
- Finalists are required to present their submissions in English and participate in debate at a seminar in St Andrews.
- Finalists are required to provide images and footage of the project for publicity purposes.
- Following the seminar, the winner will be required to participate in a short promotional roadshow for the Prize.
- Where a team rather than an individual is chosen to be a finalist, one representative will be invited to take part in the seminar.
- It will be a condition of entry that submissions for the St Andrews Prize are freely available to the organisers for publication in newspapers and journals internationally and for any other publicity activity required by the organisers.
Apply Before: Friday, 25 May 2018.
The St Andrews Prize for the Environment Office
University of St Andrews
91 North Street
Tel +44 (0) 1334 461911
Fax +44 (0) 1334 462543
Share This Post On: