Space in Africa is now accepting entries from female students and young professionals in Africa for its 2019 essay competition. The deadline for submission of entries for the Space in Africa Essay Competition is 2nd March, 2019. Winner gets scholarship to participate in the Global Conference on Space for Emerging Countries in Morocco.
In commemoration of the International Day of Women and Girls in Science, Space in Africa is calling on female students and young professionals in Africa to submit an essay to address the gender gap in the African space industry.
It’s no mystery that women are underrepresented in various science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) sectors around the world. A UNESCO report reveals that women enrollment in STEM studies is low, ranging from ICT (3%); natural sciences, mathematics and statistics (5%); as well as engineering, manufacturing and construction (8%). But what about when it comes to space career?
Globally, the gender gap in space exploration is far below the 35% average for all STEM fields. According to a Big Think infographic on Women in Space, since 1961 almost 550 people have been to space, but less than 11% have been women. The situation is not different in Africa.
Africa is witnessing a growing interest in the space sector, however, there is no indication of growth in the number of women who are joining their male counterparts in the space industry. The gender gap is a concern for the few women who are active players in the industry.
Space in Africa Essay Competition Topic.
In 500 – 750 words, tell us how we can get more women in Africa to pursue a career in space science and technology: “What will it take to enhance the participation of women and girls in space in Africa?”
Space in Africa Essay Competition Eligibility.
To be eligible for the essay contest, you must:
- Be a female between the ages of 18 and 35 years
- Be a citizen of any of the countries in Africa
- Be available to attend the Global Conference on Space for Emerging Countries coming up in Marrakesh, Morocco in April 2019
Space in Africa Essay Competition Evaluation.
The essay will be assessed based on the following:
- Innovation and Creativity
- Feasibility and relevance
- Clarity in writing and presentation
- Impact on development and Potential impact on jobs
Space in Africa Essay Competition Prizes.
- The author of the winning essay will receive a scholarship (up to $USD500 to cover airfare from home country to Morocco) to attend the Global Conference on Space for Emerging Countries coming up in Marrakesh, Morocco between 24-26 April 2019.
- The winning essay will be published on Space in Africa.
- Top 10 finalists essays would be published in Springer’s Southern Space Studies Series
How to Enter Space in Africa Essay Competition.
- The essay should be written in English.
- The submission shall include the original essay in PDF, Doc or Docx format and a head-shot photo of the author.
- Note: Previously published essays, either shared online or offline, are not eligible for consideration.
- The judges will consider only entries submitted via the essay submission form.
The competition is open till March 2, 2019, and the winner will be announced on March 10, 2019. The competition will be judged by a high level panel of industry experts.