SIWI Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI) is now accepting nominations form all parts of the world for the 2020 Stockholm Water Prize. The deadline to nominate for the SIWI Stockholm Water Prize is 30th September, 2019.
The Stockholm Water Prize is an international water award presented annually since 1991 by the Stockholm Water Foundation. The prize has been established to honour outstanding achievements in the sustainable use and protection of the world’s water resources.
The world’s most prestigious water award, Stockholm Water Prize, honours women, men and organizations whose work contributes to the conservation and protection of water resources, and to the well-being of the planet and its inhabitants. All who have made extraordinary water-related achievements are eligible.
Since its inception in 1991, the prize has been selected by the Stockholm Water Prize Nominating Committee from a pool of professionals nominated by their peers. Over the years, Stockholm Water Prize Laureates have represented a broad range of water-related activities, professions and scientific disciplines from all over the world.
SIWI Stockholm Water Prize Eligibility.
- They welcome nominations from all parts of the world
- They strongly encourage the nomination of female candidates.
- A candidate for the Stockholm Water Prize shall have attained outstanding achievements of lasting significance for sustainable use and protection of the world’s water resources.
- The results achieved by the candidate shall have proven impact or great potential and provide stimulation for further important contributions to the conservation and protection of water resources and to improved health and well-being of the planet’s inhabitants and ecosystems.
- Nominations are welcome from everyone! However, self-nominations or nominations by persons with direct professional or family ties to the candidate are not allowed.
The main achievements of the candidate should be within one or both of the following categories:
- Policy and Practices: This broad category covers achievements in the continuum from political initiatives to practical implementation that has improved the governance and management of water, as a natural and economic resource and/or as a human right and basic service. The category includes:
- human rights, conflict resolution, influence on policies, international cooperation with application in the water sector
- sustainable and safe management of water resources
- provision of water supply and sanitation services
- development and application of appropriate technologies
- Research: This category includes both basic and applied research to develop new knowledge of and scientific leadership in:
- natural, physical, and/or technological processes
- the functioning of complex systems
- development or improvement of economical, legislative, institutional or administrative principles for efficient, equitable and sustainable water management and service provision.
For both categories, great achievements in outreach and awareness raising are considered merits. This includes education and training of students, water professionals or communities as well as dissemination of information to and awareness raising of decision-makers and the general public.
SIWI Stockholm Water Prize Benefits.
A prize ceremony and Royal Banquet is held at the Stockholm City Hall as part of the World Water Week. During the ceremony, the Laureate accepts the prize from the hands of His Majesty Carl XVI Gustaf, King of Sweden, official patron of the prize.
The Laureate receives global acknowledgement and visibility, a specially designed sculpture, and 1 million SEK. He or she also has the privilege of presenting a lecture during the Opening Plenary of the World Water Week.
How to Nominate for SIWI Stockholm Water Prize.
Anyone can submit a nomination for the Stockholm Water Prize, however self-nominations or nominations by persons with direct professional or family ties to the candidate are not permitted. The initial nomination begins by submitting the name of the nominee along with a brief (500 words max.) statement of accomplishment.
Nomination period is open until 30 September 2019.
For more information on the nomination process, contact Mrs Katarina Andrzejewska at Katarina.Andrzejewska@siwi.org.