Applications are invited from foreign students or researchers from all research sectors for the 2020/2021 Québec Merit Scholarship Program. The deadline for submission of applications for the Québec Scholarship Program for Foreign Students to Study in Canada is 1st November, 2019.
The objective of the Merit Scholarship Program for Foreign Students (PBEEE) is to support the internationalization of research activities in Québec’s institutions of higher education, to attract the best foreign researchers and students, and to promote abroad Québec universities and College Centres for the Transfer of Technologies (CCTT).
The program covers higher education as a whole by giving to the CCTT researchers and administrators the opportunity to participate. In a more generic way, the attribution of scholarships for foreign students aims at creating cultural links and allowing the setting up of possible common scientific research projects. The program also represents an instrument for the MEES to support the Government of Québec’s scientific policy.
These scholarships are intended for foreign students or researchers from all research sectors (health, humanities and social sciences, arts and letters, natural sciences, and engineering) preselected by a Québec university, Synchronex, the China Scholarship Council (CSC), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Mexico (SRE) or the National Council on Science and Technology of Mexico (CONACYT) to begin or continue studies or research activities in Québec. There is no privileged research sector.
Québec Scholarship Program Eligibility.
- Must meet all eligibility conditions at the closing date of the competition (a different closing date has to be confirmed for the students preselected by CSC).
- Must have been preselected by a university or Synchronex (a CCTT).
- For the Québec-China scholarship, must be preselected by the CSC.
- Cannot have already received a Merit Scholarship for Foreign Students from MEES, FRQNT or theFonds de recherche du Québec – Société et culture (FRQSC).
- Cannot be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- Cannot have applied for permanent resident status under Canadian immigration law.
- Double doctoral degree programs are not eligible.
- Québec-Wallonia scholarship applicants must have previously studied in a French-language university-level institution in Belgium by the time they are granted their scholarship.
- Doctoral research (V1, 1B, 1C, 1I, 1IS, 1M, 1W) scholarship recipients must: Have a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) issued by the ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion du Québec and a study permit issued by the Canadian Consulate valid for the entire duration of their scholarship.
- Postdoctoral scholarship (V2, 2B, 2C, 2I, 2M) recipients must: Have a work permit issued by the Canadian Consulate for the entire duration of their scholarship.
- Short-term research or professional development scholarship (V3, 3B, 3C, 3I, 3IS, 3M, 3W) recipients must: Have a temporary resident visa or electronic travel authorization to come to Canada.
Québec Scholarship Program Coverage.
The Merit Scholarship Programs for Foreign Students has three components:
- Doctoral research scholarships (V1, 1B, 1C, 1I, 1IS, 1M, 1W): $25,000 a year. The duration of the scholarship is three years, with a possible extension of up to 12 months (monthly allowance of $1,000).
- Postdoctoral scholarships (V2, 2B, 2C, 2I, 2M): $35,000 for one year (cannot be renewed).
- Short-term research or professional development scholarships (V3, 3B, 3C, 3I, 3IS, 3M, 3W): $3,000 a month for a period of up to four months.
In addition to the scholarship, MEES offers all scholarship recipients an exemption from paying the higher tuition fees required for foreign students and the medical insurance coverage offered by the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ).
How to Apply for Québec Scholarship Program.
- Submission of applications to FRQNT of the preselected candidates by responsible bodies (universities, Synchronex, SRE) : October 1st 2019, 4 pm
- Submission to FRQNT of the candidates preselected by CSC : March 31st 2020
- Submission of application to FRQNT by preselected candidates : November 1st 2019, 4 pm
Once preselected, the candidate must create his account in the FRQnet system. The FRQNT will then contact all preselected candidates to complete an electronic form to which the required documents will be attached. Applicants can consult the “Instructions for completing an application” document in the Toolbox.
- Only the 2020-2021 competition electronic forms and other required documents will be accepted. No documents other than those requested will be transmitted to the evaluation committee.
- E-forms are available only in the secure zone of the FRQnet system of the FRQNT. They must be completed and sent electronically.
- Files cannot be updated after the closing date for applications. It is suggested to keep a printed copy of your form for your records
- The form may be completed in French or English. Candidates who apply in English must provide a French title for their project.