Poetry Centre of Oxford Brookes University (“OBU”) is now accepting entries for its 2018 International Poetry Competition. Deadline for submission of entries is Monday, August 6, 2018.
The Oxford Brookes Poetry Centre is delighted to launch its 2018 International Poetry Competition to celebrate the power of poetry across the world!
Categories: Open and English as an Additional Language. Deadline: 6 August 2018 (11pm BST/10pm GMT). £1000 to winners.
The competition is open to both new and established poets aged 18 and over from across the globe and has two categories:
- Open category (open to all poets aged 18 years and over)
- English as an Additional Language (EAL) category (open to all poets aged 18 and over who write in English as an Additional Language)
The winners of each category will receive £1000 and both runners up £200.
- The winner of the Open category will receive a prize of £1,000. The winner of the EAL category will receive a prize of £1,000. The runner-up (second-placed poem) in the Open category will receive a prize of £200. The runner-up (second-placed poem) in the EAL category will receive a prize of £200. One Special Commendation non-cash prize in the Open Category. One Special Commendation non-cash prize in the EAL Category.
- Prize winners will be paid directly into the same bank account from which the fee for the entry was originally paid.
- No poet may win more than one cash prize.
- OBU reserves the right, in conjunction with the Competition judge, not to award the prizes, or to reduce or split the prize money if, in their opinion, such action is justified for any reason.
- The prize money is generated entirely through entry fees and may be reduced if an insufficient number of entries is received.
How to Submit Entries for Oxford Brookes Poetry Centre 2018 International Poetry Competition.
- All entries must be submitted to the Competition’s e-mail account email@example.com
- Entries must comprise one poem per document and be submitted as a Microsoft Word file (.doc or .docx), Rich Text Format file (.rtf) or as a PDF file (.pdf).
- Poems by EAL poets can be entered for consideration either in the EAL or the Open category. All entrants need to include either EAL or OPEN in the top right hand corner of each entry.
- Entries must be submitted to the Competition email account and open in a clear, legible font of a size that is easy to read.
- Confirmation of receipt of all Competition entries will be by an automated e-mail reply.
- You may withdraw your entry by email notification to firstname.lastname@example.org. However, unless the Competition is cancelled, entry fees will not be refunded unless you withdraw your entry by sending a notice of cancellation to Oxford Brookes University’s Poetry Centre (for this purpose please use email@example.com) within 14 days of the entry’s submission, in which case the submission fee will be refunded to the same bank account from which the fee was originally paid. If you have submitted more than one poem, please ensure that you identify clearly which poem is being withdrawn. OBU reserves the right to withdraw and not publish any entry which it considers to be plagiarized, defamatory or otherwise prejudicial to the reputation of OBU, its funders or its community.
- The first three poems submitted cost £5 per poem. Subsequent entries in the same submission cost £4 per poem up to a total of ten poems.
- All payments must be made via the International Poetry Competition shop website using Visa/Mastercard Credit/Debit cards only. Confirmation of payment will be by automatic email reply.
If you have questions about the competition, please consult our FAQs page. If your question isn’t answered there, contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The competition deadline is 11pm on Monday 6 August 2018.