OpenCon is now accepting applications to attend its 2018 conference and includes the opportunity to apply for a travel scholarship. Applications will close on July 13th at 11:59pm U.S. Pacific Time.
OpenCon seeks to bring together effective, engaged students and early career academic professionals from around the world to advance Open Access, Open Education, and Open Data—regardless of their ability to pay for travel costs. In OpenCon’s first four years, most invited attendees who required financial support to attend have received scholarships. For this reason, attendance at OpenCon is by application only. The application process is central to allocating the limited spaces for attendees and scholarship funding equitably. Applications are reviewed by alumni from previous years, and our international organizing committee makes final decisions on acceptances and scholarships.
The benefits of applying for OpenCon 2018 extend far beyond attending the meeting in Toronto this November. It’s an opportunity to find new collaborators, get connected with scholarships to attend related conferences, and actively participate in a larger community of Open advocates year-round.
Students and early career academic professionals of all experience levels are encouraged to apply. We want to support those who have ideas for new projects and initiatives in addition to those who are already leading them. The most important criteria is an interest in advancing Open Access, Open Education, and Open Data and a commitment to taking action. You can learn more about the types of projects and impact OpenCon community members are working on to advance Open through our community report.
- OpenCon’s target audience is students of all levels, early career researchers, and young professionals in fields related to scholarly and scientific research (e.g. librarians, publishers, advocates, etc).
- Students, early career researchers, and young professionals from all countries are welcome to attend OpenCon.
- Early career is a flexible term and generally means someone within about 10 years of the beginning of their professional career (i.e. after graduating with their terminal degree).
- Applicants must be eighteen years of age or older to attend OpenCon.
OpenCon is a unique meeting in that the organizers will provide full or partial travel scholarships to a large number of the participants at the meeting. In past meetings, the majority of participants received full or partial scholarships.
What do scholarships cover?
Scholarship funding is available for the following expenses:
- Roundtrip ticket (air, train or bus) to Toronto, Canada from the departure city indicated in your application
- Accommodation during the nights of the conference (shared room with participant of the same sex)
- Participation fee that covers registration and most meals
- Visa application fee (if needed)
If you are invited and are awarded a scholarship, your invitation will specify which of the above expenses are included. Please note that scholarships will not cover travel to and from the airport, meals that are not provided at the conference, insurance, or other incidental expenses. Note that due to the number of scholarships we will be granting, they cannot process any reimbursements from receipts. Therefore scholarship funding will only apply for travel and accommodation booked through OpenCon’s travel agent.
How to Apply for OpenCon.
Complete the form below to apply for OpenCon 2018.
First, enter your email address to unlock the rest of the questions. Once you begin, you can save your progress at any time by clicking “Save for Later” at the bottom of the form. You will then be sent an email with a secure link that you may use to resume your application later.
The deadline to apply for OpenCon 2018 is July 13 at 11:59 U.S. Pacific Time. Drafts not submitted by that date will be considered final. All questions are required unless otherwise noted.