Nordic Africa Institute’s is now accepting applications from suitably qualified candidates for its 2019 scholarship programme. The deadline for submission of applications for the Nordic Scholarship Programme is 8th October, 2018.
The aim of the scholarship programme is to offer a 1-month stay at the Nordic Africa Institute in order to facilitate use of the Institute’s library collections on contemporary Africa (books, periodicals, newspapers, and government publications), and to create links to existing research at the Institute.
Nordic Scholarship Programme Benefits.
- The scholarship covers travelling expenses for the least expensive fare from residential address (in Sweden, Finland and Iceland) to Uppsala and return.
- The scholarship holders are provided with a desk and computer in a shared office at the Institute and free accommodation centrally located in Uppsala.
- The scholarship also include a subsistence allowance of SEK 200 per day and free photocopying up to a maximum of 1,000 copies.
Please note: The scholarship does not include health care insurance or other insurances.
Nordic Scholarship Programme Eligibility.
- Master students, PhD candidates and postdoctoral researchers pursuing Africa-oriented studies/research in Social Sciences and Humanities and affiliated to universities and research centers in Sweden, Finland and Iceland are eligible candidates, regardless of citizenship.
- Africa-oriented journalists and writers within the discipline of Social Sciences and Humanities in Sweden, Finland and Iceland can also apply for a scholarship.
How to Apply for Nordic Scholarship Programme.
- Up-to-date CV, including list of publications (if any).
- Outline of research project, 3-5 pages:
– Objective of the research project: The research topic should be clearly identified and contextualized within its academic discipline.
– Method and time frame: Describe how the research project will be accomplished, state the research method, data gathering techniques and time frame.
– Theoretical explication: A brief indication of the theoretical basis of the research project must be included.
– The applicant should clarify what part of the research project he/she will work upon during the stay at the Nordic Africa Institute.
- Reference: A signed letter of support from the applicant’s supervisor or head of department, which confirms current affiliation and field of research. (Scanned versions of signed support letters can be emailed by the applicant.)
Applications are primarily evaluated based on the outline of the research project.
Please note: Incomplete applications will not be considered. Persons currently or previously employed by or otherwise professionally affiliated with the Nordic Africa Institute are not eligible for scholarships. Kindly also note that the application and appendices must be in English. In the extraordinary event that the Scholarship Programme does not receive full funding, applicants will be informed immediately.
Submission of applications:
The scholarships are awarded once per year. Applications must be in by 8 October 2018. (for scholarships in 2019)
Applications can be sent by email or by post.
Applications sent by post/airmail should be addressed to
The Nordic Africa Institute
P.O. Box 1703
SE-751 47 Uppsala, Sweden.