Nokia Bell Labs Prize is now accepting entries from innovators around the globe. It carries a reward of one hundred thousand US dollars ($100, 000.00).
Bell Labs is the research arm of Nokia and one of the world’s foremost technology research organizations. We are well known for inventing and perfecting many of the cornerstone technologies that have defined the majority of information technology and communications systems over the past century. Over the years, eight Nobel Prizes shared by 13 Bell Labs researchers have been awarded for work completed at Bell Labs that was focused on solving ‘10x’ type problems.
The Bell Labs Prize is a competition for innovators from participating countries around the globe that seeks to recognize proposals that ‘change the game’ in the field of information and communications technologies by a factor of 10, and provides selected innovators the unique opportunity to collaborate with Bell Labs researchers to help realize their vision.
Nokia Bell Labs Prize Eligibility.
- Innovators from around the globe.
- You must be a citizen of one of these countries:
- United States
- Canada (except Quebec), notes for candidates from Canada
- Czech Republic
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- South Korea
- Taiwan, Province of China
- United Kingdom
- You must be aged 21 or over at the time of registration on the website.
- Employees and applicants for employment are not eligible to participate in the Contest, but interns are.
- Directors, members, partners, agents, and consultants of Sponsor and its affiliates and their immediate family members as well as the supplier of goods or services in connection with the Contest are not eligible to participate in the Contest.
Nokia Bell Labs Prize Categories.
They are looking for game-changing and impactful ideas that have the potential to change the way we live, work and communicate with each other.
- Web Applications
- Cloud Services
- Information Theory
- Coding Theory
- Computational Sciences
- Distributed Systems
- Data Privacy
- Mathematics of Networks
- Modulation Schemes
- Optical Systems or Components
- Communications Systems
- Collaboration Systems
- Network Protocols
- Network Architecture
- RF design
- Wireless systems
- Fixed Network technologies
- Software-Defined Networks
- Virtualization Technologies
- Search algorithms
- Self-Optimizing Networks
- Real-time Analytics
- Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning
Nokia Bell Labs Prize Benefits.
- The Prize is both a highly prestigious innovation award and a means to collaborate with the world-renowned Bell Labs.
- By taking part in the competition, you will gain visibility to a high-profile audience of researchers, innovators, entrepreneurs, media and partners. You will also receive support from Nokia and Bell Labs, one of the most advanced telecommunications companies and industrial research organizations in the world.
- All winners: The three winners may be given the opportunity to collaborate with Bell Labs to see their research project to fruition, when possible.
- First prize: $100K
- Second prize: $50K
- Third prize: $25K
- Selected participants may have an opportunity to work with Bell Labs, giving them the opportunity to collaborate with researchers to further develop the idea and enhance its commercial viability.
Nokia Bell Labs Prize Evaluation Criteria.
Ideas will be evaluated by Bell Labs researchers based on the following 3 criteria:
- 10x Innovation Potential – How is your proposal novel – what has not been done before, what is the “out of the box” thinking that could result in a 10x change in performance (e.g., speed/throughput, distance, latency, cost, energy efficiency or simplicity)?
- Technical Merit – How technically sound is your proposal? On what current principles and capabilities does it depend versus further/future advancements and innovations?
- Feasibility – Can a proof of concept, simulation or demonstration be built in the course of the competition? What is required to do so? In order to build a commercially viable (revenue and profit-generating) solution, what more would be required?
The finalists who present to the Judging Panel will also be evaluated on a 4th criterion, which focuses on the commercial value proposition:
- Business Impact – What is the magnitude of the new ICT-related business created by the proposal? How soon could it be brought to market and how differentiated/unique is the proposition?
Nokia Bell Labs Prize Key Dates.
- Stage One
- March 5 – Website opens and applicants can register to participate in the competition and submit their ideas through the application form
- April 25, 8:00 PM US-Eastern – Deadline for registration and formal submission of Stage 1 ideas
- May 30 – Candidates selected to proceed to Stage 2 are informed
- Stage Two
- June 1 – September 7 – Finalists develop in-depth proposal with the help of a Bell Labs Research Partner
- September 7 – Deadline for submission of Stage 2 detailed idea
- October 17 – Finalists who are invited to present in front of the Bell Labs Judging Panel in Murray Hill are informed of the selection
- December 5 – Final presentations and winners announced.
All participants will be notified of Stage 1 results by June 1, 2018, and Stage 2 results by October 17, 2018. Stage 2 finalists will also receive feedback and comments from Bell Labs Reviewers.
How to Enter Nokia Bell Labs Prize.
The Bell Labs Prize involves two key stages. In Stage 1, participants register and submit an initial idea. The ideas are evaluated and finalists selected for Stage 2 will develop their ideas and convert them into a robust proposal in conjunction with Bell Labs Research Partners. Ten finalists will then be invited to a Nokia corporate location to present their proposals in front of the Bell Labs Judging Panel, and 3 winners will be selected.
Register through the link below. Once your email address has been verified you can submit your application by filling in the form available from your dashboard.
CAN I SUBMIT MULTIPLE APPLICATIONS? Yes. You will however have to register with a different email address for each new application.