The Council of the Nigerian Academy of Science (NAS) has instituted a prize which will be awarded to deserving Nigerian scientists called the “Nigerian Academy of Science Gold Medal” (NAS Gold Medal).
This annual prize was established to recognize personal/team scientific excellence and is aimed at stimulating and rewarding excellence in Science, Technology, and Innovation. It shall be awarded to the scientist/s whose work has made the most impact in furthering the frontiers of knowledge and has made significant contributions to mankind with particular reference to the national context. It is the highest honour that the Academy would bestow on a Nigerian Scientist.
Nigerian Academy of Science Gold Medal Prize Benefits.
- The Prize is made of a certificate, medal of recognition and a purse.
Nigerian Academy of Science Gold Medal Prize Eligibility.
The award is open to all Nigerian Scientists. Fellows of the Nigerian Academy of Science are NOT eligible for nomination but can nominate scientists for consideration for the award.
To qualify for the award,
- Candidates must demonstrate through published works, patents and innovations, intellectual proprietary outstanding merit and must have been nominated by at least two persons, one of whom is identified as the corresponding nominator.
- The science prize is open to be awarded to a single individual or as a joint prize for collaborations arising from the work of more than one person in the same or different fields of science.
- The prize would recognize personal contributions to excellence in research work of fundamental and applied research in the Physical Sciences as well as in Life Sciences. This may be the results of Nigerian Scientists from work done predominantly in Nigeria with international resonance, with a potential applicability to the world community.
- Candidates for the prize must have made an outstanding achievement that is widely accepted, groundbreaking, and original, outstanding, and the expected contribution should be widely accepted to the promotion of improvement of the human condition through the application of science.
Key Criteria for Nigerian Academy of Science Gold Medal Prize.
- Documentation of the contributions of papers published in recognized and international scientific journal(s).
- Impact of the result of scientific research and the significance of the research results in terms of broad outreach to knowledge generation in the community and advancement of solutions to specific problems and challenges relevant to the community and mankind including patents.
- Recognitions (provision of evidence of nomination and letters of recommendation from people knowledgeable in the field, membership of Academies of Science and other awards of distinction).
- Must have been involved in active research in the broad field of consideration- life sciences or physical sciences with documented contributions
Nigerian Academy of Science Gold Medal Prize Key Dates.
- The call for nomination for 2018 is in the Life Sciences and it is made open from the 1st of April 2018 to 31st of May 2018.
- The public announcement of the winner(s) shall be made in October.
How to Nominate for Nigerian Academy of Science Gold Medal Prize.
To obtain a nomination form, kindly download from www.nas.org.ng.
All forms must be completed online and submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org before the nomination deadline.
For Further information please contact the Executive Secretary, The Nigerian Academy of Science, National Secretariat, Academy House: 8A Ransome-Kuti Road, University of Lagos Campus, Akoka, Yaba Postal Address: P.M.B. 1004 University of Lagos Post Office, Akoka, Yaba, Lagos, Nigeria Tel. +234 808 962 2442.