Electric South is looking for the next cohort of diverse African artists for a week-long retreat in October 2018 to learn Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality storytelling from leading industry mentors and engage in discussions and workshops, as well as develop their creative projects.
Electric South New Dimensions Lab Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR) Workshop 2018.
Now in its 3rd year, the New Dimensions Lab brings together diverse African artists to learn Virtual Reality (VR) storytelling from leading industry mentors. The Lab takes place over the course of a week at a private retreat where artists engage in discussions and workshops, and develop their creative projects. Six applicants will be selected to participate. Past mentors have included Jessica Brillhart (Google, Vrai Pictures), Jim Chuchu (The Nest Collective), Darren Emerson (VR City), Selly Raby Kane, Katy Morrison (VRTOV), Oscar Raby (VRTOV), and Ainsley Sutherland.
New Dimensions Lab Workshop Eligibility and Requirments.
Applicants must be:
1. Citizens or permanent residents of an African country
2. Currently living on the African continent
3. Accomplished in an artistic field. Any creative discipline is welcome. Past applicants have experience in: documentary and fiction film, theatre, performance & visual arts, fashion, photography, writing, design, creative technology and game development. Projects ideas must:
- Be non-fiction stories. We welcome creative interpretation of documentaries.
- Use immersive technologies, such as Virtual Reality (VR) or Augmented Reality (AR). This could include 360 film, interactive worlds, animation, hybrid forms, and beyond.
New Dimensions Lab Workshop Benefits.
Electric South fully sponsors travel, accommodation and meals for participants.
How to apply for New Dimensions Lab Workshop.
Interested candidates who meet the criteria listed above should apply by clicking on the “Apply” button below:
Submission Deadline: The last day to submit is 31 July 2018. All successful applicants will be notified by 31 August 2018. The Lab will run from 28 October until 3 November 2018 in South Africa.