Applications are invited from suitable qualified PhD Students in Europe, Middle East, Africa (EMEA) for the 2019 Microsoft Research PhD Scholarship Programme. The deadline for submission of applications is 8th October, 2018.
The Microsoft Research PhD Scholarship Programme in EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa) was launched in 2004 and has so far supported more than 200 PhD students from more than 18 countries and 51 institutions. Some of the Scholars may also be offered—at the sole discretion of Microsoft Research—an internship in one of the Microsoft Research laboratories. Internships involve working on a project alongside and as part of a team of Microsoft researchers. Scholars are paid during their internship—in addition to their scholarship bursary.
Each year, PhD supervisors from academic institutions in EMEA are invited to submit their proposals for collaborative research projects with Microsoft Research Cambridge.Applications are then peer reviewed and a number of projects selected for funding. PhD students are appointed to the selected projects and begin their research in the following academic year under the supervision of their academic supervisor, with co-supervision from a researcher at Microsoft Research Cambridge.
Microsoft PhD Scholarship Programme Funding.
Each Microsoft scholarship consists of an annual bursary up to a maximum of three years or a maximum of four years for an EPSRC CASE award. The monetary value of the award varies by country to reflect local differences in costs and overheads. Payment is made directly to the institution. The amount of the scholarship is the maximum amount Microsoft Research pays to the institution. In addition, every Scholar receives a fixed hardware allowance and conference allowance.
- By applying, the PI and university or research institute is willing to accept the PhD Term Sheet as the basis for the scholarship.
- Microsoft has a pool of CASE awards that may apply. In these circumstances, EPSRC Term Sheet will apply.
Microsoft PhD Scholarship Programme Eligibility.
Applications must not be made by students but by PhD supervisors, who must have been nominated by Microsoft Research prior to the submission deadline. If their project is selected, the supervisor has until 31 March 2020 to find the best possible student for the project; otherwise, the PhD Agreement will be terminated automatically. Only applications from institutions in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa will be considered.
For an application to be considered, the following key requirements apply:
- The institute agrees to the terms and conditions in the PhD Term Sheet and EPSRC Term Sheet where appropriate and there will be no negotiation once the selections have been made and communicated.
- Applicants must be nominated by a Microsoft supervisor by 1st September 2018 to be eligible to submit an application.
- The proposed research must be closely related to our research ambitions at Microsoft Research in Cambridge:
- Artificial Intelligence
- Infrastructure for the Cloud
- The Future of Work
- Biological Computation
This year, they are particularly interested in proposals related to:
- Machine Learning for Healthcare
- Optics in the Cloud (networking, storage and compute)
- Confidential Computation
- Designing AI for Human Partnership
Microsoft actively seeks to foster greater levels of diversity in our workforce and in our pipeline of future researchers. We are always looking for the best and brightest talent and pride ourselves on our individuality.
Microsoft PhD Scholarship Programme Benefits.
- Microsoft scholarships consist of an annual bursary up to a maximum of three years for PhD supervisors and students to do collaborative research projects with Microsoft Research Cambridge.
- The monetary value of the award varies by country to reflect local differences in costs and overheads. Payment is made directly to the institution. The amount of the scholarship is the maximum amount Microsoft Research pays to the institution. In addition, every Scholar receives a fixed hardware allowance and conference allowance.
Microsoft PhD Scholarship Programme Selection Criteria.
Applications should contain the following:
- A completed online application form that includes contact details of the main supervisor together with a named secondary supervisor who will be willing to take the project on if the main named supervisor leaves.
- A letter from the Finance Department stating the exact funding requirements
- A project proposal of maximum six (6) A4 pages in 10-point font, including references. Accepted formats: plain text (.txt), .pdf, or Microsoft Office Word (.doc or .docx) only.
The research project proposal should address the following points:
- Evidence that the research supervisor would be suitable to supervise a PhD student for the proposed research project. This may include a short list of the supervisor’s recent and relevant publications. Please consider including the URLs of the publications to make it easier for reviewers to find them.
- How research relates to the Microsoft Research Cambridge lab’s current focal areas
- Evidence that the department or laboratory offers a suitable environment for research in the proposed area.
- Basis for the research (motivations and brief state-of-the-art, including key references).
- Hypothesis under investigation and main aims.
- Research strategy with significant milestones if identified.
- Methods of research (for example, main techniques, experiments, and trials).
- Details of any collaboration with other departments/research bodies.
- Expected outcomes (for example, software tools).
- Description of the department that you work in (e.g. number of faculty and PhD students in the department).
Microsoft PhD Scholarship Programme Timeline.
|For the application process:|
|Nominations received by:|
Online submission tool open:
|1st September 2018|
17th September 2018
|Application deadline:||8th October 2018|
|Notification of results:||By early January 2019|
|For successful applicants:|
|PhD Agreements sent to Institutes via DocuSign by:||End of February 2019|
|Signed PhD Agreements returned to MSR via Docusign by:||30th June 2019|
|PhD students to be appointed by:||31st March 2020|
How to Apply for Microsoft PhD Scholarship Programme.
University PhD Supervisors wishing to submit an application for the 2019 Programme will need to have been nominated by Microsoft Research by 1st September 2018.