Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) Government of Japan is now accepting applications from foreign nationals from developing countries for its 2018 Internship Program. Deadline for submission of application for the 2018 METI Government of Japan Internship Program is 30th June, 2018.
Private-sector companies, industry associations, and non-profit corporations in Japan. Host companies are determined after matching by the Program Office and subsequent approval by the Screening Committee.
Internship period (To be arranged).
International students in Japan:
A･B: Around 3 months from August to Tuesday, December 4
Overseas foreign nationals:
C: Entering Japan on Sunday, September 2 & departing Tuesday, November 20
D: Entering Japan on Monday, September 10 & departing Thursday November 29
E: Entering Japan on Tuesday, September 18 & departing Friday, December 7
F: Entering Japan on Tuesday, September 25 & departing Thursday, December 13
G: Entering Japan on Monday, October 1 & departing Tuesday, December 18
H: Entering Japan on Monday, October 8 & departing Friday, December 21
*The Program Office will determine whether participants will follow schedule C, D, E, F, G or H.
Applicants satisfying all the following requirements are eligible.
- Agreeing with the spirit of this program, and through the internship promoting internationalization of Japanese companies, developing the overseas business of Japanese companies, and working together to construct networks with overseas universities etc.
- Holding citizenship of an eligible country or region.
- Proficiency in Japanese language (JLPT level N3 or higher) or proficiency in English.
- As a rule, applicants should be at least 20 years of age and no older than 40 as at June 30, 2018.
- Applicants must able to submit a school or university enrolment or graduation certificate as well as a letter of recommendation from an affiliated university or institution etc.
- Able to undertake both the internship and Pre-Training full-time at the host company. (International students must also able to balance these against their studies)
- Other requirements meeting any individual conditions stipulated by the host company.
- Applicant must not have participated in this Program in 2016, 2017.
Eligibility: Foreign nationals of developing countries (OECD/DAC-listed countries) *FY2016, 2017 participants in this Program are not eligible to participate.
Main support for interns.
- Allowance: 4,000 yen per day for living cose. This amount is payable per day for the entire duration of the internship (except for international students living in Japan, who will be paid for active days only)
- Round-trip economy class air ticket, travel insurance (international students in Japan not eligible)
- Internship insurance
- Transportation and accommodation expenses including training program fee when participating in training
Main responsibilities of interns.
- Formulating an internship plan (roles/goals, etc. of an intern) in consultation with the Internship manager
- Participating in Pre-training, follow-up training, and wrap up presentation
- Undertaking the internship full-time during the internship period(international students living in Japan must ensure this is balanced with academic work)
- Undertaking management of their own safety and health as thoroughly as possible, including gathering emergency information for Japan, as well as communication, reporting, and consultation with the Program Office and the host company
- Submitting a variety of documents, notifications, reports, evaluation reports, etc. before coming to Japan, as well as during and after the internship period
- Appropriate Behavior demonstrating awareness as a beneficiary of public funds received from the Japanese government
Application & selection method.
- Registration is accepted online via the registration form on the Program Office website.
- Selection is conducted through document screening, primary interview (local language/English/Japanese), and secondary interview (Japanese/English).
- As part of the selection process, various certificates (university qualifications, language skills, etc.), letters of recommendation, photographs, documents required for the visa, etc. are to be submitted individually.
Recruitment numbers: 220 interns (around 40 will be international students in Japan)
Application period: From late-May to June 30, 2018