The program is open to residents and citizens of Sub-Saharan African countries. Students who are already enrolled in degree programs in Africa or elsewhere are not eligible for the program. Students who are accepted to the program demonstrate the following qualities:
- Prior completion of a bachelor’s degree from an African University with academic achievements suggesting continued academic success as a graduate student.
- Strong commitment to a professional path in line with an area of study that can positively impact Africa.
- Demonstrated interest and capacity for serving others through engagement in volunteer activities in school, college, or community.
- Leadership potential.
- Ability to cope with change, and interest in other countries and cultures.
- Significant financial need and/or from lowest income bracket in country of origin.
- Commitment to return to serve home country or region in ways that enhance economic growth and social development.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholarship provides comprehensive support for the completion of a master’s degree. We cover:
- Travel costs
- Visa and SEVIS fees
- Tuition and other MSU fees
- Housing, food, and living expenses
- Health insurance
Program Scholars are also provided with a laptop and backpack. The Program does not provide support for dependents of Scholars.
- FEBRUARY 2018: Application, all required documents, test scores and Scholarship Application due to Department/Program. Recommender Form(s) due to .
- MARCH 2018: Finalist Interviews
- APRIL 2018: Notification of scholarship status
- MAY 2018: Awardee decision due date
How to Apply for Mastercard Foundation Graduate Scholarship.
Step 1: Apply to Desired Master’s Program
To apply for a MasterCard Foundation Scholarship at MSU, prospective Scholars must first apply to the desired master’s program through the program’s department. After being accepted to the program, the Scholar must be nominated for a MasterCard Foundation Scholarship by a faculty member.
Only students who have been admitted to on-campus Master’s Programs are eligible for this scholarship. A list of graduate programs is available at the MSU Graduate School website.
Save your applicant ID and password during the MSU application process; you will need it to complete the MCF Scholarship Application.
Step 2: Complete an English Proficiency Exam
Complete an English Proficiency Exam (TOEFL or IELTS) and any other examinations (for example GRE or GMAT) which the department or program you’re applying to requires.
Students are strongly encouraged to take these exams no later than early-December 2017 for MSU to receive scores promptly.
Step 3: Submit All Supporting Documents to the Master’s Program
- Ensure that the master’s program department receives all required supporting documents and official test scores.
- Each department sets its own criteria for admission. Read the department’s website carefully and then follow the department’s instructions for graduate admission.
- Submit all required official academic documents, letters of support, official test scores, etc. as indicated by the department and on the Application for Graduate Admission.
Communicate directly with the appropriate graduate department regarding the status of your application.
Step 4: Complete The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program Application
Complete the MCF Scholarship Application (.docx) and send it to your graduate department; it should arrive no later than February 1 each year. If submitting a hand-written scholarship application, ensure that the document is clearly legible after it has been scanned.
Step 5: Submit the Recommendation Form
Submit at least one Recommendation Form (.docx) from an individual who can confidently speak to your family’s economic circumstances. Please select someone other than a family member (teacher, community member, etc.) who knows you well and can best answer the questions on the Recommendation Form. Do not submit more than two Recommendation Forms.
Note: This application is for GRADUATE applicants only. We are not currently accepting UNDERGRADUATE applications