Martin Ennals Award is now accepting nominations for the 2019 edition of its Human Rights Defenders (HRD).
The Martin Ennals Award is a annual prize for human rights defenders. The Award is intended for human rights defenders (HRD) who are defending the rights of others, while at risk. This could include physical danger, repressive legal processes, or other forms of harassment.
Finalists and the laureate are selected by a Jury of 10 of the world’s leading human rights NGOs. The Martin Ennals Award for Human Rights Defenders (MEA) is a unique collaboration among ten of the world’s leading human rights organizations to give protection to human rights defenders worldwide.
Martin Ennals Award Benefits.
- The Award provides protection and support to human rights defenders who are at risk.
- The award carries a cash prize of 20,000 Swiss francs to be used by the award winners to support their work in the field of human rights.
Martin Ennals Award Eligibility.
- The HRD must be currently active. Please note, we will not consider posthumous nominations.
- The HRD must be demonstrably at risk.
- The HRD must work with non-violent means.
Martin Ennals Award Nomination Procedure.
Why does the Candidate merit the Award?
- The candidate has demonstrated integrity and commitment in the defense of the human rights enshrined in international human rights law:
- The candidate is working in front-line human rights work in conditions hostile to fundamental human rights:
- The candidate has consistently demonstrated the determination and courage to continue despite difficulties, threats and lack of local support:
- The award and the attendant international publicity and recognition are likely to benefit the candidate’s capacity to carry out her/his work
- The candidate has an active record of combating human rights violations by innovative/creative means.
Apply Before: 26 March 2018.