The Mandela Rhodes Foundation is now accepting applications from academically excellent young Africans for its 2021 postgraduate scholarship award to study at a South African tertiary institution. The deadline for submission of applications for the Mandela Rhodes Foundation Scholarship is 16th April, 2020.
The Scholarship provides full funding for up to a maximum of two years of postgraduate study for an African citizen at recognised South African institutions.
The programme is built on the Foundation’s founding principles of reconciliation, education, entrepreneurship, and leadership, and a belief that leadership begins with inner transformation.
They aim to keep Nelson Mandela’s legacy alive by equipping young African leaders with the competence and courage to transform the continent into a place where everyone has equal opportunity to thrive. The Foundation’s programme is delivered primarily through a series of week-long residential workshops which you will attend during your time in residence.
Mandela Rhodes Foundation Scholarship Eligibility.
- Open to citizens of all African countries and is for postgraduate study at South African universities or tertiary institutions;
- Full funding is for Honours (maximum one year) or Masters (up to a maximum of two years) or their equivalents (MBA’s excluded);
- Any individual who will be between the ages of 19 and 30 years at the time of taking up the Scholarship may apply;
- Applicants must possess a first degree or its equivalent or must be in the process of completing one by January 31, 2020;
- Applicants should have a history of well above average academic results and reflect in their character a commitment to the four principles of Education, Reconciliation, Leadership and Entrepreneurship;
- Applicants must be able to attend all compulsory elements of the leadership development programme. These activities can occur during the week or on weekends.
Mandela Rhodes Foundation Scholarship Benefits.
The scholarship covers
- Tuition and registration fees as set by your university or institution
- A study materials allowance as set by the MRF
- Accommodation and meal allowances as set by the MRF
- A medical aid allowance as set by the MRF
- A personal allowance as set by the MRF
- Research and conferencing grants can be made available on request
- Economy-class flights for international scholars from their home countries to their institutions at the start and end of their studies
How to Apply for Mandela Rhodes Foundation Postgraduate Scholarship.
- Step 1: Check programme requirements
- Step 2: Get your documents ready
- Recommenders: They require three letters of recommendation as part of your application. Your recommenders must submit their letters through the application platform.Without these letters, you cannot submit your application. Get in touch with three people who have relevant experience of you and insight into your character as soon as possible – even before applications open – to ask them permission and give them time to write their letters. Once you register a recommender on the platform, they will receive an email asking them to log on and upload their letter.
- Documentation: You will be required to upload certificates of completion for your degrees, transcripts of your academic results, and scans of your ID and passport documents.
- Essays: You will be asked to write two short essays, one on your personal journey, and one on a specific question relating to our principles.
- Application for university: You will be asked to fill in your proposed course of study on your application. They do not require proof that you have applied, but they recommend that you apply as soon as possible, and to more than one university.
- STEP 3: Apply online!
Apply Before: 16 April 2020.