The Livestock Emissions Abatement Research Network or LEARN is an awards scheme sponsored by the New Zealand Government, through the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) to build international capability in livestock emissions research.
The Postdoctoral Fellowship provides funds for an emerging scientist from a developing country to complete a research project in New Zealand in an area aligned with livestock greenhouse gas mitigation.
LEARN Postdoctoral Fellowship Funding.
Funding is available for:
- Up to NZD$50,000 per year for a maximum of two years to cover living expenses while inNew Zealand (pro rata to be calculated on time spent in New Zealand).
- Up to NZD$5,000 will be provided for return economy class airfares and travel/medicalinsurance.
- Up to NZD$5,000 will be provided to assist with research costs associated with the project.
LEARN Postdoctoral Fellowship Eligibility.
To be eligible for the Postdoctoral Fellowship, you must:
- Have gained a PhD in the last 5 years.
- Be a high achieving researcher (supported by academic transcripts, letters of recommendation and publishing record).
- Be employed in an area of research aligned with livestock greenhouse gas mitigation in your home country.
- Have the support of your employer to apply for the Fellowship.
- Have a mentor in a New Zealand research organisation (host).
- Be resident in a developing country as defined by the OECD list of Overseas Development Assistance (ODA) recipients: http://www.oecd.org/dac/stats/daclist.htm
- Satisfy New Zealand Government requirements for international entry into New Zealand.
- Be able to speak and understand English to a level sufficient to function in a research role.
How to Apply for LEARN Postdoctoral Fellowship.
There is a two-stage application process. The New Zealand Agricultural Greenhouse Gas Research Centre (NZAGRC) administers the LEARN awards on behalf of the Ministry for Primary Industries.
Applicants must first submit an Expression Of Interest (EOI) to to determine eligibility. Forms can be downloaded from here. If eligibility is confirmed, the applicant will be invited to submit a full application to be considered by an assessment panel and Ministry for Primary Industries.
An EOI for a Postdoctoral Fellowship can be submitted at any time during the year, however full applications must be submitted by 30 June (New Zealand time).