The Indonesian Government is inviting students from developing countries to apply for the Kemitraan Negara Berkembang (KNB) Scholarship, 2018. The scholarship is offered to potential students from developing countries to earn their Master Degree at one of 16 prominent universities in Indonesia.
The Kemitraan Negara Berkembang (KNB) Scholarship is a financial assistance offered by the Indonesian Government to International students coming from developing countries to pursue their master degree in Indonesian Universities. Initially, the idea of offering scholarships by the Ministry of Education and Culture of the Republic of Indonesia for the student coming from the NAM member countries was mandated in the 10th Conference of Heads of States of Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) countries commenced in Bandung from 1st – 6 th September 1992. Following that mandate, in 1993 the Government of the Republic of Indonesia started offering postgraduate (master degree) scholarships to students from the NAM member countries.
Since 2002, due to the substantial change in the international political constellation, the use of the term “NAM” in this program was considered irrelevant. The program name then changed to Kemitraan Negara Berkembang (Developing Countries Partnership) Scholarship or KNB Scholarship. Consequently, the program have been widely offered to students, not only to the NAM member countries, but also to other developing countries such as Thailand, Fiji, Gambia, Senegal, Nigeria, Madagascar, Suriname, Pakistan, Guyana, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, and Vanuatu.
In 2015, the Ministry of Research, Technology, and Higher Education of the Republic of Indonesia took over the KNB Scholarship management. Some improvements have been made to better the scholarship management, both administratively and operationally. There are a couple of significant adjustments have been made so far: the scholarship coverage and quota were expanded and 2 prominent Universities were added to host the program (it makes a total of 16 host Universities).
Kemitraan Negara Berkembang Scholarship Coverage and Duration.
The KNB Scholarship covers:
- A Settlement Allowance of IDR 1,000,000 will be given to new students upon their arrival in Indonesia;
- While taking the Indonesian language course and preparatory programs, the new students will only receive a Living Allowance of IDR 2,550,000 per month;
- During the Master Program, the KNB students will receive a scheme of monthly allowance as detailed below:
- A health insurance with a maximum of IDR 200,000 monthly premium (In case of the cost of medical services exceeded to those covered by the health insurance, the difference should be borne by the student);
- A round-trip international airfare (economy class) from the international airport of the student’s home countries to Indonesia, including local transport to the host university;
- The duration of scholarship is exclusively correlated to the duration of the academic program as indicated below:
Indonesian Language Course and Master Preparatory Program
Maximum 12 months
Maximum 24 months (4 semester)
Maximum 48 months (8 semester)
The scholarship is paid for 12 calendar months each academic year during the normal period of study, except the last academic year of the normal period of study when the scholarship is paid for 8 months. Please be advised that in case of early program completion, all scholarships payment will be stopped by the time the awardee set off for home (returning to home country).
- Please be advised that the scholarship scheme will only sufficient to cover one person to living properly in most cities where the universities are located.
* Note: Other expenses beside above mentioned items will be considered as personal expenses and will be borne by the students.
Kemitraan Negara Berkembang Scholarship Study Programs.
The scholarship is offered to potential students from the developing Countries to get their Master Degree in wide range of field of study (please be advised that the study program offered is differs between university):
1. Literary studies
6. Cultural studies
1. Chemical Engineering
2. Civil Engineering
3. Architectural Engineering
4. Electrical Engineering
5. Naval Architect & Marine Engineering
6. Geological Engineering
7. Informatics Engineering
10. Mechanical Engineering
5. Remote Sensing
9. Environmental Sciences
10. Public Health
11. Sports sciences
12. Pharmacy Studies
- Public Administration
- Political Science
- Economics/Development Study
- Communication & Media
- International Relations
- Community Empowerment
- Indonesian Education
- Educational Science
- Social Science Education
- Natural Science Education
- Primary School Teacher Education
- Out of School Education/ Informal Education
- Applied Linguistics
- History Education
- Instructional Education
- Educational Management
- Educational Research & Evaluation
- Vocational & Technology Education
Please contact the University’s official listed in the annex for further information about the study programs offered.
KNB Scholarship Eligibility.
- The maximum age to apply for the scholarship is 35 years old;
- Applicants must hold a bachelor degree (master degree holder is not eligible to apply);
- Applicants must have a TOEFL (or other certified English Proficiency) score of 500 or equivalent;
- Applicants must complete the on-line application form;
- Prior to the departure to Indonesia, the successful candidates must sign the Statement Letter and Scholarship Agreement prepared by the KNB Scholarship management.
KNB Scholarship Key Dates.
- The online application process must be completed no later than April 30th, 2018;
- Selection process will be conducted on the first week of May 2018;
- The selection result will be announced on the 2nd week of June 2018;
- The students are expected to arrive in Jakarta on August 2018;
How to Apply for Kemitraan Negara Berkembang Scholarship.
- Download the Invitation Letter (Available in the KNB Scholarship website)
- Submit the Invitation letter, Passport, Academic Certificates and Academic Transcripts to the Indonesian Embassy to acquire the recommendation letter
- Complete the online application process
- Selection process
- Selection Results Announcement. The Selection Results will be announced online via the KNB Scholarship Website and officially announced through the Indonesian Embassy publication network
- Recommendation letter from the Indonesian Embassy in the respective country
- Nomination letter from the respective government official (Ministry of Education, other related Government Agency – should the applicant works for the Government Agency, or Embassy of the Applicant’s Country of Origin in Indonesia)
- 2 Academic Recommendation letters
- Scanned passport (personal data page only) or birth certificate
- Scanned bachelor certificate and academic transcripts (in English)
- Scanned TOEFL score certificate (or other English Proficiency Tests) obtained within the last 2 Years
- Scanned Official Medical Statement (Official Diagnose) prepared by a certified physician.