The International Federation for IT in Travel and Tourism (IFITT) is now accepting applications from young talents coming from developing/emerging countries for its ICT4D Scholarship. The ICT4D Scholarship is non-cash prize and meant for participation in the ENTER2019 eTourism Conference (comprising travel, accommodation and conference fee). See more details below.
Under the IFITT ICT4D Scholarship (Information and Communication Technologies for Development), IFITT (The International Federation for IT in Travel and Tourism) will fund young talents coming from developing/emerging countries, to provide a positive impact onto their respective communities through the application of information and communication technology (ICT).
Submission should be connected with a Master or PhD thesis, having a clear orientation to the application of ICT in local tourism development. Awarded students will have the possibility to present their work at the PhD workshop during ENTER2019 eTourism Conference.
The scholarship consists of an assignment of a tutor, a non-cash prize for participation at ENTER2019 eTourism Conference (comprising of return travel from home country to Nicosia, Cyprus, accommodation, and conference fee) and free IFITT membership for one year.
ICT4D Scholarship Eligibility.
- The applicant must be enrolled in a University program either PhD (priority) or Master (or equivalent) in the below listed eligible countries. Evidences should be included in the application.
- The applicant may also have a research/work contract in one University belonging to the below listed eligible countries (e.g. researcher, lecturer). Evidences should be included in the application.
- The contract with the University of the eligible country should expire at least 6 months after ENTER2019 (i.e. July 2019). Evidences should be included in the application.
- Every applicant can apply only one time per year.
- The University should belong to the “Eligible Countries,” including:
- Priority countries (priority)
- Also eligible countries
- The IFITT ICT4D committee will make decision on the scholarship award. Committee members are elected by IFITT board.
- Scholarship will be ONLY awarded in relation to ENTER2019.
- IFITT will issue an invitation letter to successful candidates, conditional to the participation at ENTER2019.
- Each candidate is responsible for obtaining a valid travel visa and will have to cover all cost that occurs from that.
ICT4D Scholarship Timelines.
- Submission Deadline: September 3, 2018
- Initial feedback: September 28, 2018
- Submit final revised proposal: October 12, 2018(*)
- Final acceptance: October 30, 2018(*)
- PhD Workshop: January 29, 2019
- ENTER2019 Conference: January 30 – 1 February 2019
(*)Please note that submission deadlines differ from the one of PhD workshop in order to facilitate necessary visa procedure.
How to Apply for the ICT4D Scholarship.
Submission guidelines are similar to the one of ENTER2019 PhD workshop. The research proposals should be a maximum length of seven (7) pages (A4) and should include the following headings:
- Page 1: Motivation Letter
- Why it is important to attend the PhD Workshop and ENTER2019
- Page 2-6: Research Outline
- Problem definition
- Literature review
- Conceptual development
- Proposed methodology
- Anticipated results
- Page 7: Local development
- Relevance of research for local tourism development.
- Page 8: Submission Checklist
- Please see the last page of this document
- Page 9: Curriculum Vitae and evidences of PhD enrolment and/or university contract (no page limit)
- Please refer to the eligibility criteria section to verify if your university falls into this category. Also, in your submission, please indicate your progress toward completion of the thesis (e.g., thinking about it, just beginning the process, completed proposal, etc.).
- Step 1: Please download the PhD-Workshop Author Advice as a style guide for your research proposal.
Please note: the submission should consist of ONE single file.
- Step 2: Submit your proposal via Easy Chair [Please Select “PhD Workshop”].
What happens after the submission?
Each submission will undergo a review process. Applicants will be notified about the review outcome, along with recommendation to improve the proposal before the workshop. Accepted proposals will be made available as e-book to workshop participants before the PhD Workshop and published on the IFITT website. Participants are required to prepare a short oral (or video) presentation as well as a poster presentation. Posters will be displayed during the workshop as well as throughout the entire ENTER conference. The best research proposals will receive awards and will be recognized at the main conference event!
For further queries, please contact Lidija Lalicic ([email protected])