Nominations are invited from researchers from the Global South for the International Center for Research on Women (ICRW) Paula Kantor Award for Excellence in Field Research. The deadline for submission of applications is 9th February, 2020.
The International Center for Research on Women (ICRW) is now accepting nominations for researchers from the Global South for the 2020 Paula Kantor Award for Excellence in Field Research, which honors the legacy of a visionary leader whose contributions to the feminist and social justice movements are evident across the world.
Dr. Paula Kantor, Senior Scientist of Gender and Development at the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) and former Senior Rural Development Specialist at ICRW died in the aftermath of a terrorist attack in Kabul, Afghanistan on May 13, 2015.
Dr. Kantor was a leading expert on gender issues and international development, with nearly 20 years of experience in executing policy research and programmatic work related to integrating gender into agriculture and rural development. Dr. Kantor’s work was largely driven by her desire and passion to improve lives in the Global South, especially those of women and girls. She was a prolific researcher who participated in and worked with several initiatives to better the lives and improve livelihoods for women in conflict-prone and terrorist-affected areas. She worked across Asia, the Middle East and Africa.
In the spirit of Paula’s legacy of supporting applied research to advance the economic and social well-being of women in low-income and otherwise marginalized communities worldwide, this annual award is given to a young professional female researcher from the Global South doing field research related to ICRW’s mission.
ICRW Paula Kantor Award for Excellence in Field Research Eligibility.
- Open to women researchers under the age of 40 who are citizens of countries located in the Global South;
- The research or body of work may be conducted in any country, including the United States, but must take place in low-income or otherwise marginalized communities, with a primary focus on gender equity and women’s and girls’ empowerment;
- The social science research should contribute to filling gaps in evidence, which are important to understanding the best solutions for improving the lives of women, girls and other marginalized populations. The research methodology may utilize quantitative, qualitative, or mixed methods;
- Outcomes of the research should have been shared with the research community, and/or with relevant stakeholders with respect to the nominees’ work.
- Findings should have been disseminated through relevant reports, peer reviewed journal articles, book chapters, multi-media campaigns or similar communications channels. Co-authored publications or joint dissemination activities are also permissible.
- Research that is being undertaken as part of an advanced degree requirement is not eligible.
ICRW Paula Kantor Award for Excellence in Field Research Fellowship.
- The winner of the award will receive US$2,500 cash prize
- The recipient of the award will also have the ability to present in front of an esteemed global audience, comprising those in the development, business, NGO and government sectors – and will receive opportunities to promote their research on the ICRW website and across their social media channels.
ICRW Paula Kantor Award for Excellence in Field Research Evaluation Criteria.
The selection committee will evaluate submissions based on the following:
- The nominee’s use of a robust research methodology following ethical protocols for conducting research;
- The nominee’s use of innovative practices within the program’s activities and their implementation, and measures to ensure sustainability;
- A strong gender-focused conceptualization of research/body of work, with appropriate and relevant data gathering techniques, analysis, and interpretations. This exercise may or may not be linked to a specific programs or evaluation.
How to Submit Nominations for ICRW Paula Kantor Award for Excellence in Field Research.
Applications are due by 11:59 p.m. EST on Sunday, February 9, 2020.