The Helen Lansdowne Resor (HLR) Scholarship is a global program launched by J. Walter Thompson and the 4A’s in 2014. It was designed to confront the disproportionately low presence of female creative leadership in the advertising industry, offering a select group of young aspiring female creatives the support they need to change the tides. Since inception, 15 young women from diverse academic backgrounds and across six regions have been named recipients of the HLR Scholarship.
Helen was a game changer. It started in 1908, when Helen Lansdowne was hired by J. Walter Thompson Cincinnati as the industry’s first female copywriter. She soon moved to the New York office, where she rose through the ranks as a creative powerhouse. She hired and mentored dozens of creative women, ensuring that the female voice was represented in J. Walter Thompson’s work.
Are you ready to follow in her footsteps?
Helen Lansdowne Resor Scholarship Benefits.
It’s your big break. Your shot to steer the future of advertising. Here’s what you’ll get if you win:
- A scholarship up to $10,000 to put towards your education
- An internship at a JWT office
- One-on-one mentorship
- First-look placement at JWT after graduation
Helen Lansdowne Resor Scholarship Eligibility.
In short, badass women studying creativity. Oh, and you also have to:
- Be a registered student at an undergraduate, graduate, and/or portfolio school with at least 12 months of school left as of May 14, 2018
- Show creative talent and potential in a course of study like Art Direction, Copywriting, Design, Experiential Design, Sculpture, Film, etc. Basically, if you think it applies to you, it probably does
- Maintain satisfactory academic and creative progress as determined by your school
How to Apply for Helen Lansdowne Resor Scholarship.
- Personal statement (500 words or less)
- Letter of recommendation from a faculty member
- 3-5 creative samples (That’s 3–5 examples of the work that best showcases your creativity. Remember, quality over quantity, so choose wisely. And no, these do not have to be ads.)
Follow the link below to complete the application. You’ll have to submit your application form, a personal statement, a letter of recommendation and 3–5 creative samples by May 14, 2018.
If you have more questions, Email [email protected].