The Government of Mauritius offers scholarships at undergraduate level to African students. Applicants must be resident citizens of member states of the African Union or of Commonwealth African countries.
This initiative is part of the Government of Mauritius commitment to promote capacity-building at various levels across the African continent through its strong belief that Higher Education is one of the key elements of growth and social development. This is all in line with the Government of Mauritius respect and upholding of Goal 4 of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), a target of which is to substantially expand globally the number of scholarships available to developing countries by 2020.
Government of Mauritius Undergraduate Scholarships Eligibility.
The conditions to be eligible to apply for the Scholarship are:
- Applicants for undergraduate courses should be above 18 years of age and should not have reached their 26th birthday by the closing date of application;
- Candidates should have successfully completed end-of-secondary schooling to be eligible and should satisfy the minimum grade requirements as indicated below:
- At least 23 points at GCE A-Level which will be computed on the basis of the following grades obtained in three Principal subjects: A+=10, A=9, B=8, C=7 & D=6; or at least an overall average of 65% or an overall average of 13/20;
- Qualification equivalent to (i)
- In case the language of instruction is not English in the qualifying examination, the candidate will have to provide a valid TOEFL test result with a minimum score of 550 (paper based) or 213 (computer based) or 79 (internet based) or valid IELTS test results with a minimum score of 5.5 or an acceptable proof of English Language proficiency.
- All applicants must have already applied for at least one full-time on-campus program at a public HEI of their choice (listed under Section 8 in the application form). This application must be made as soon as the HEIs have opened their application windows on their respective websites.
- An applicant may either:
- Obtain a conditional offer (letter of admission) from their chosen Mauritian public HEI and submit this along with the scholarship application. Or,
- submit an acknowledgment notice from a Mauritian public HEI that the application for a seat has been made and the appropriate application fee has been paid.
Government of Mauritius Undergraduate Scholarships Benefits.
The Scholarship will support successful candidates in meeting tuition fees and contribute to their living expenses during their studies in Mauritius, as more fully detailed in the Guidelines for Applicants. Mauritius is a signatory of the SADC Protocol on Education and consequently, all students from SADC countries will benefit from the same tuition fees amount as a home student; others will be considered as International students. As a result, SADC countries awardees will be allocated upto MUR 100,000 annually to cover their tuition fees, whereas non-SADC countries will be allocated MUR 160,000 annually to cover their tuition fees. This tuition fee will be paid directly to the public Higher Education Institution.
A monthly living allowance of MUR 8,300 will be paid to awardees as part support to meet their living expenses.
The scholarship shall be for a course of a maximum of four (4) years duration.
Furthermore, economy airfare by the most economical route, from the country of origin at the beginning of studies and back to the country of origin at the end of the studies, will be covered.
How to Apply for Government of Mauritius Undergraduate Scholarships.
The duly filled application form is the only method of application. Section FIVE (Endorsement by Nominating Agency) of the application form should be duly completed by the Nominating Agency in the country of citizenship of the applicant.
The duly completed application form should be submitted through the Nominating Agency of the respective countries.
No direct application to the Mauritian Ministry of Education & Human Resources, Tertiary Education & Scientific Research will be entertained.
Apply Before: April 16, 2018.