Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA) is now accepting applications for the 2019 5th Edition of SCIENCE BY WOMEN programme for Visiting Senior Research Fellowships in Spanish Centres of Excellence. The deadline for submission of applications for the Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA) Science by Women Programme is 30th September, 2019.
The Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA), in line with its mission of contributing to the development of Africa through the drive of its women, launched the SCIENCE BY WOMEN program, with the aims of promoting African women’s leadership in scientific research and technology transfer and fostering the capacity of the research centres in their home countries. The program’s ultimate goal is to enable African women researchers to play a leading role in the transition of Africa to a knowledge-based and innovation-led economy and thereby in the transformation of people’s daily lives.
The Science by Women program will fund a total of 15 six-month visiting senior research fellowships for 15 experienced African women researchers in 15 different international research centres of excellence based in Spain.
Each research centre will host one researcher. Here below the list of participating centres:
The preferred areas of research include:
- Health and Bio-medicine
- Energy, Water and Climate Change
- Agriculture and Food Safety
- Mathematics, Information and Communication Technologies
- Economic Science
- Physics and Materials Sciences
Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA) Science by Women Programme Eligibility.
Any person who meets the following requirements can apply:
- Being a woman
- Having the nationality of an African country
- Having a PhD with at least 3 years of post-doctoral professional experience
- Current contractual relationship with a university or a public or private non-profit organization based in Africa dedicated to significant scientific research in the areas indicated above
- Excellent academic record and proven track of relevant research experience
- Solid working knowledge of English
- Proven experience leading a research group
Beneficiaries of first, second and third editions of this program are not eligible.
When applying, candidates must have already identified research groups in the host centres to confirm that their proposed research can be carried out in collaboration with those research groups and, when needed, in their laboratories.
Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA) Science by Women Programme Benefits.
Successful candidates will have access to the following benefits:
- Return flight from their centre of origin to the host institution
- Living allowance of 2.400 Euros (before taxes) per month to cover accommodation, personal expenses and health and occupational accident insurance coverage.
Beneficiaries must devote themselves entirely to research at the assigned research centre and may not be beneficiaries of any other fellowship, grant, stipend or regular income during their research stay.
Beneficiaries might be asked to formalise their relationship with the research centre in writing. In compliance with local laws, the Woman for Africa Foundation or the research centre (as the case may be) will, if so required in each particular circumstance by the tax and/or social security regime, retain or withhold the compulsory amounts from the living allowances.
Women for Africa Foundation, in collaboration with the research centre, will help beneficiaries with the compulsory formalities in order to obtain the visa with Spanish Embassies and Consulates.
How to Apply for Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA) Science by Women Programme.
The deadline for applications is September 30, 2019. Only applications submitted in English via the Science by Women microsite at will be accepted.
Candidates must submit the following documents:
- Letter of Interest (max. 1 page)
- Full curriculum vitae
- Fully filled form
- Brief but concise description of the project to be developed in the Spanish host centre (max. 2 pages).