Forum for African Women Educationalists (FAWE) Uganda Chapter bursaries/scholarship for students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds and regions of Eastern, Northern and Western Uganda. The scholarship is supported by the Mastercard Foundation.
FORUM FOR AFRICAN WOMEN EDUCATIONALISTS/THE MASTERCARD FOUNDATION – HIGHER EDUCATION ACCESS PROGRAM.
The Forum for African Women Educationalists Regional Secretariat (FAWE RS) with support from the Mastercard Foundation, is implementing through FAWE Uganda Chapter an eight-year (2016—2024) Higher Education Access Program targeting 300 youth (70% female and 30% male) from economically disadvantaged backgrounds and regions of Eastern, Northern and Western Uganda. The overall goal of the program is to enable a total of 300 young women and men from the disadvantaged regions of Uganda to access, transition through higher education and secure employment in sectors that contribute to the development of their home communities.
This will be achieved through two (2) specific student-focused objectives:
- To provide bursaries to 300 bright students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds in Eastern, Northern and Western Uganda to access and complete higher education; and,
- To provide academic and psycho-social support and facilitate pathways for the students to internships, industrial practice and employment.
The program is being implemented in partnership with particular institutions: Busitema University; Mbarara University of Science and Technology; Gulu University; Jinja School of Nursing and Midwifery; and, Medical Laboratory Technology Training School, Jinja with 60% of slots dedicated towards degree courses and 40% towards diploma courses.
FAWE Uganda is pleased to announce the availability of bursaries to support both undergraduate and diploma studies in the academic year 2018/19. The bursaries come with comprehensive financial, academic and social support to participants for the entire duration of their studies. The bursary support is available to those who meet the eligibility criteria below.
Who is Eligible for FAWE/Mastercard Foundation Scholarship Program?
- The applicant must be aged between 18 and 25 years;
- The applicant must have sat his/her advanced level (S.6) examinations in 2017;
- The applicant must be applying for direct entry into the partner institutions of learning for the academic year 2018/2019;
- The applicant must have been born in and be a resident of any of the 13 programme districts of Bukwo, Buyende, Katakwi, Mayuge, Buliisa, Bundibugyo, Kanungu, Ntoroko, Adjumani, Amudat, Amuru, Kaabong and Pader;
- The applicant must have attended Ordinary or Advanced Level Education in any of the 13 programme districts;
- Applicants who sat their Advanced Level Education (S6) examinations in schools outside their districts of birth but within the specific regions of Eastern, Northern and Western Uganda qualify to apply for the bursaries;
- The applicant must be qualified for admission into the following programme areas of study: Agricultural Sciences, Medical and Health Sciences and Education courses (Science and Literature, degree only);
- The applicant must not be a current beneficiary of any other bursary scheme or scholarship;
- Other vulnerability aspects to be considered include: young people living with disability, HIV/AIDS–infected or affected, orphaned (total or partial); and,
- The Applicant must be willing to give back to his/her community through development services.
Note: Female applicants from the 13 districts are encouraged to apply
FAWE/Mastercard Foundation Scholarship Program Timelines.
1. Busitema University- 18th May 2018
2. Gulu University- 31st May 2018
3. Mbarara University of Science and Technology- 8th June 2018
How to Apply for FAWE/Mastercard Foundation Scholarship Program.
- Application forms will be available at no cost at the offices of the Academic Registrars of the partner institutions of Mbarara University of Science and Technology, Gulu University, Busitema University, Jinja School of Nursing and Midwifery and Medical Laboratory Training School in Jinja.
- Application forms can also be found at the District Education Offices in the 13 Program districts above and FAWE Uganda Office plot 328, Bukoto – Kisasi Road, P.O. Box 24117 Kampala, Uganda or downloaded from the website through the link below: www.faweuganda.org.
- Submit a fully filled-in application form to the office of the District Education Officer (DEO), any of the partner institutions or to FAWE Uganda Office.
- The deadline for applications is 11th June 2018, after which no applications will be accepted.
For further enquiry and assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the Program Coordinator on 0782131713, 0759830023.
Please note that;
i.Application forms are free of charge and NO fees/ facilitation or intermediaries required at any stage of the selection process.
ii.Inaccurate information or misinterpretation of any part of the application, falsification or incomplete application and any attempt to influence the process will lead to automatic disqualification or recommendation for dismissal from the program.
iii.All documents submitted will be subjected to thorough verification including home visits of successful applicants before final approval and award.
iv.Only shortlisted applicants will be notified at every stage of the selection process which will be conducted by a team of independent Regional Technical Bursary Committees (RBTCs) supervised by FAWE Uganda.
Share This Post On: