Engineers Without Border (EWB’s) Kumvana Fellowship is now accepting applications from African social entrepreneurs. Deadline for submission of application is July 7, 2019.
In the Chichewa dialect of Malawi, Kumvana means “unite so we may discuss and understand.” In this spirit, EWB’s Kumvana Program brings together 10-15 dynamic African professionals for leadership development and network building, while enhancing Canadians’ understanding of sub-Saharan Africa’s development realities.
The Kumvana program consists of an 8-week online learning course (approximately 3 hours per week), an African retreat, and a 1-month intensive Canadian experience. During the Fellows’ time in Canada, they will attend the EWB National Conference and receive specifically tailored training programs, a 3-day leadership development course, and participate in 2 weeks of organisational placements to learn from relevant professional networks. Participants will have the opportunity for an immersive cultural experience, and spend time living with Canadian host families.
The Kumvana Program gives to its Fellows an opportunity to network and foster collaborations with Canadian professionals and extraordinary leaders from other African countries. Additionally, these changemakers will receive new skills, ideas, contacts, motivation and the potential to lead that will help guide their actions toward greater, sector-wide impact.
EWB Kumvana Fellowship Benefits.
As a Kumvana Fellow, you will:
- Dedicate about 3 hours/week to an online learning course
- Participate in a weekend African retreat to meet our community
- Build relationships with African and Canadian leaders and changemakers during a 5-week intensive Canadian experience
- Stay with a Canadian host family
- Learn from relevant professional Canadian networks
- Bring intention and reflection to your personal leadership journey
The program is costs covered. All costs related to the program are either paid for directly by EWB (airfare, insurance, visas, etc.) or indirectly through a modest daily stipend, which covers basic living expenses (food, local travel) while in Canada.
EWB Kumvana Fellowship Requirements.
- You are a social entrepreneur or changemaker striving for systemic impact in Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Côte D’Ivoire, Zambia or Malawi.
- You are eager to accelerate your leadership journey and are seeking support, coaching, and new tools to further your current project.
- You are open to different ways of living, have a strong interest in new cultures, and embrace a growth mindset at all times. You are ready to engage in personal reflection and bring intention to your leadership development.
How to Apply for EWB Kumvana Fellowship.
- You are a citizen of, and currently working in, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Côte D’Ivoire, Zambia or Malawi
- You have not previously taken part in a similar fellowship program
- You are proficient in English
- You are able to travel to Canada in January/February 2019 for a full-time five-week experience
- You can commit to an 8-week online course, taking about 3 hours of work per week
- You are flexible in living conditions (sharing a room with another fellow of the same gender, living with a family, etc.)
- You have the energy and drive to handle a fast-paced schedule while in Canada
Share This Post On: