Enel Foundation is now accepting applications from high-profile African graduates for its 2020 Open Africa Power Program The deadline for submission of applications for the Enel Foundation Open Africa Power Program is 31st October, 2019.
Enel Foundation announced today the launch of the Open Africa Power 2020 call for applications and confirmed the new edition will start in February 2020. The third edition of the flagship training initiative will host its African residential module in South Africa, in partnership with the Graduate School of Business at the prestigious University of Cape Town.
The Open Africa Power is an education venture initiated by Enel Foundation in 2018 in partnership with top Academic institutions in Italy and Africa, aiming to forge a new generation of African leaders deeply engaged with their country’s clean energy future.
The Open Africa Power Program provides high-profile African graduates with a holistic knowhow of the electricity sector, enhancing the technical, regulatory and business skills required to work in the private and public sector towards the electrification of Africa. This collaborative program brings together Enel Foundation, Strathmore University, the University of Cape Town, Politecnico di Torino, Politecnico di Milano, Bocconi University, Venice International University and Florence School of Regulation. The 2020 edition will engage up to 60 African students and alumni in a series of professional development and leadership activities, comprising residential modules in South Africa and Italy.
Enel Foundation Open Africa Power Program Structure.
- Online Module and Exams: The online module Regulation for Universal Access to Energy will start on January 13 and will end on May 18. This course will enable the learners to gain a comprehensive vision on how to design appropriate policy and regulatory framework needed to ensure sustainable energy for all. Successful completion of this course is required to be selected for the Italian Module.
- African Module: State of the Art – This five-day module will occur between February 10-14, 2020. It will take place in South Africa at the Graduate School of Business within the University of Cape Town. The module will explore the fundamental of the global electricity sector through the lenses of sustainable development goals. It will cover the following areas:
- Networks technology, regulation, economics;
- Renewables technology, regulation, economics;
- ICT digitalization of the electricity industry
The faculty will consist of local and international experts both from academia and industry. Following the African Module, participants will be asked to put forward a research abstract on a specific aspect/solution for the electricity sector that can become a key element in the race from poverty to prosperity for the entire Continent or for a specific African country. The top twenty per cent participants of the course, based on valuation of their abstract, class interactions and successful completion of online course, will be invited to attend the Italian module.
- Italian Module: New Frontiers – Lasting two weeks in July 2020, this module will take place in Italy. Participants will explore the new frontiers of the electricity sector, sharing knowledge and experience first-hand innovation. They will be called to actively interact with prestigious academic partners and research representatives, meet with government, business, and non-profit leaders; engage in a dialogue around issues of Africa’s clean energy future; and visit sites where innovative technologies are a reality in the electricity space.
- Give Back Module: Upon completion of the Italian module, alumni will be involved in teaching activities related to Enel Foundation education initiatives in Africa.
Enel Foundation Open Africa Power Program Eligibility.
To be eligible, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be between the ages of 24 and 35 by January 13, 2020;
- Be a citizen of an African country;
- Currently resident in an African country or planning to relocate in Africa within the end of 2020;
- Be eligible to travel to South Africa and Italy. Depending on your country of residence, your passport must be valid for one to three months AFTER the date of departure from South Africa, in order to be eligible for a visa (e.g. March 15 or May 15, 2020). All candidates are invited to check well in advance the procedure applicable to their specific case;
- Having graduated from or being a student (having an admission letter is also acceptable) of a PhD, MSc, LLM, MPP or MBA degree. Undergraduate students or people who are not at least enrolled in a master’s degree are not eligible for this program. One of the two degrees (Bachelor or Masters) must be from an African University;
- Have competences and a demonstrated interest to pursue a career – in private or public sector – in the electricity space at large;
- Be fully proficient in English.
How to Apply for Enel Foundation Open Africa Power Program.
Applications are to be filed through a dedicated platform exclusively. Click on the link and copypaste the following code (OAP20CFA ) in order to begin the process:
Applicants must provide:
- A copy of their CV;
- Copy of their Bachelors and Masters degree certificates AND academic transcripts;
- A copy of their Passport;
- A motivation letter;
- Three reference letters from industry, academia and/or civil servant representatives.
Deadline: 31st October, 2019.