Applications are invited from eligible candidates for the DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme 2020 at University of Abomey-Calavi. The deadline for submission of applications is 7th February, 2020.
The programme aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development.
To this end, scholarships are granted for development-related Master or doctoral studies for individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching and/or research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa. By training future academic and professional leaders, the programme contributes to the following long-term impacts:
- Qualified professionals’ involvement in the solution of development-related problems in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Graduates strengthening education and research in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Structural strengthening and regional networking of partner institutions and partner universities
DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme Eligibility.
- Applicants have successfully completed generally a three-year university degree (Master candidates) or a two-year university degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (second class upper division)
- Clearly show motivation and strong commitment
- Have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- Have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- Must be nationals or permanent resident of a Sub-Saharan African country
- Should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector
- Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme Benefits.
The scholarship covers:
- Tuition fees – the regularly charged amount
- Study and research allowance (annually)
- 460 EUR (Master)
- 920 EUR (PhD)
- Printing allowance (once at the end)
- 400 EUR (Master)
- 800 EUR (PhD)
- Monthly Scholarship (Accommodation, Food etc.)
- 300 EUR (Master In-Country)
- 450 (Master In-Region)
- 500 EUR (PhD In-Country)
- 550 (PhD In-Region)
- Travel allowance (In-Region only): twice (beginning/end of scholarship). The flat rate travel allowance will be specified in the letter of award
How to Apply for DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme.
The application process contains two steps. Please be aware of the two application deadlines.
First step: Applicants must apply for their studies at University of Abomey-Calavi, Faculty of Agronomic Sciences using the contacts and the method that is prescribed by the institution. The University of Abomey-Calavi, Faculty of Agronomic Sciences has set its own deadlines.
University of Abomey-calavi, Faculty of Agronomic Sciences will screen, pre-select (according to DAAD selection criteria) and short list the applicants. A detailed report consisting of the shortlisting procedure, the entire list of applicants, the ranked shortlist and the shortlisting panel members will also be availed to DAAD. The ranked shortlist will contain preferably triple (at least double) the number of scholarships that have been attributed to the institution. DAAD reserves the right of final selection.
Second step: University of Abomey-Calavi, Faculty of Agronomic Sciences will provide the shortlisted candidates with the link to the DAAD-Portal. Only the pre-selected candidates are asked to log into the DAAD portal, register themselves and submit an DAAD application.
Documents to be submitted (in either English or German):
- DAAD application form duly filled in (available in the DAAD-Portal)
- Hand signed curriculum vitae (please use the European specimen form at http://europass.cedefop. Europa.eu), including a list of publications (if applicable).
- Recommendation letter by university teachers (Master 1, PhD 2)
- Letter of admission for the host university / institution / network
- Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts
- Letter of motivation (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
- Copy of the passport
PhD candidates have to submit the following additional documents:
- Declaration of acceptance from the academic supervisor
- Detailed and precise PhD proposal, including detailed work and time table (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany)
- Abstract of the proposal on one page (please include name and title of proposal)