Applications are invited from mid-career professionals (with five years’ relevant work experience) working in development-related organisations in low and middle income Commonwealth countries for the 2019 Commonwealth Professional Fellowships. The deadline for submission of applications is 4pm on Monday 3 December 2018.
Commonwealth Professional Fellowships are for mid-career professionals from low and middle income Commonwealth countries to spend between six weeks and three months at a UK host organisation working in their sector on a programme of professional development.
Funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), Commonwealth Professional Fellowships provide talented and motivated professionals with the opportunity to enhance knowledge and skills in their given sector.
These Fellowships are offered under six development themes:
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion and opportunity
Commonwealth Professional Fellowships Eligibility.
To be eligible for these fellowships, you must:
- Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person
- Be permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country
- Have normally at least five years’ relevant work experience in a profession related to the subject of the application, by the proposed start of the fellowship
- Be available to start your fellowship within prescribed dates as stated on the CSC website
- Not have undertaken a Commonwealth Professional Fellowship in the last five years
- Not be seeking to undertake an academic programme of research or study in the UK. Academics are eligible to apply for the scheme, but only to undertake programmes of academic management, not research or courses relevant to their research subject
- You must be available to undertake the Fellowship during the dates set out by the Host organisation. All Fellowships must start between 15 April 2019 and 17 June 2019. You should check exact dates with the prospective Host.
Host Programmes for 2019
Information including eligibility criteria for each host programme is available on the following page: Information on Host organisations. Please read the eligibility criteria carefully as applications not matching the stated criteria will not be considered by the Host organisation.
Note that these organisations have not been selected to Host Fellowships – the full application from the Host organisation and the Fellows will be considered together by the Commission.
Hosts reserve the right to make changes to the Programme (in discussion with selected Fellows) after selections have been made.
Commonwealth Professional Fellowships Benefits.
- Approved return airfare from the Fellow’s home country to the UK
- Stipend (living allowance) payable monthly (or pro rata) for the duration of the award at the rate of £1,656 per month, or £2,055 per month for those at organisations in the London metropolitan area (rates quoted at 2018-2019 levels). Exceptionally, depending on the programme arranged, a peripatetic living allowance may be payable. Further details if applicable will be given at the time of offer
- Arrival allowance of up to £931.10 at current rates, including an element for warm clothing and reimbursement of the visa application fee
- Flat rate contribution of £800 to the costs of the host organisation relating to the administration and support of the Fellow, setting up of appropriate meetings, any materials required, and incidental travel for the Fellow during the award (to be paid to the Host organization on receipt of an invoice)
- Fees of £2,000 will be agreed for awards under 2 months and up to a max of £3000 for awards of three months (to be paid to the Host organization on receipt of an invoice)
Full justification must be given for the amount being claimed. Such claims can cover:
- Fees for any conferences or short courses attended during the fellowship, provided that these are approved as part of the original application
- Cost of travel for visits to other organisations in the UK, where these form an integral part of the programme
- Other fees, for which the CSC will consider requests on a case-by-case basis
How to Apply for Commonwealth Professional Fellowships.
The closing date for submission of your application is 4pm on Monday 3 December 2018.
The closing date for the submission of references is 4pm on Monday 10 December 2018. Your application must include two references by this date, one of which must be from your current employer, otherwise it will be considered ineligible.
Once the closing date for Fellows’ applications and references has passed your application will be shared with the Host organisation you have applied to in order for them to review all applications and select the candidates they wish to put forward to the Commission. The Commission will make the final selections of Host organisation programmes and individual Fellows.