The UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) is now accepting applications from candidates from eligible Commonwealth countries, for its 2020 Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships. The deadline for submission of applications is January 18, 2021.
Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships are for candidates from low and middle-income Commonwealth countries, for full-time Master’s study at a UK university.
Funded by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO), Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships enable talented and motivated individuals to gain the knowledge and skills required for sustainable development, and are aimed at those who could not otherwise afford to study in the UK.
These scholarships are offered under six themes:
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion and opportunity
SEE ALSO: Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2021/2022.
Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships Eligibility.
- Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person.
- Be permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country.
- Be available to start your academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September 2021.
- By September 2021, hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) honours standard, or a second class degree (2:2) and a relevant postgraduate qualification (usually a Master’s degree). The CSC would not normally fund a second UK Master’s degree. If you are applying for a second UK Master’s degree, you will need to provide justification as to why you wish to undertake this study.
- NOT be registered for a PhD, or an MPhil leading to a PhD, at a UK university or in your home country before September/October 2021.
- Be unable to afford to study in the UK without this scholarship.
- Have provided all supporting documentation in the required format.
Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships Benefits.
Each scholarship provides:
- Approved airfare from your home country to the UK and return at the end of your award (the CSC will not reimburse the cost of fares for dependants, nor the cost of journeys made before your award is confirmed);
- Approved tuition fees;
- Stipend (living allowance) at the rate of £1,116 per month, or £1,369 per month for those at universities in the London metropolitan area (rates quoted at 2020-2021 levels);
- Warm clothing allowance, where applicable;
- Thesis grant towards the cost of preparing a thesis or dissertation, where applicable;
- Study travel grant towards the cost of study-related travel within the UK or overseas;
- If you are widowed, divorced, or a single parent, child allowance of £480 per month for the first child, and £118 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, if you are accompanied by your children and they are living with you at the same address in the UK (rates quoted at 2020-2021 levels);
- If you declare a disability, a full assessment of your needs and eligibility for additional financial support will be offered by the CSC.
Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships Selection Criteria.
Applications will be considered according to the following selection criteria:
- Academic merit of the candidate
- Quality of the plan of study
- Potential impact on the development of the candidate’s home country
How to Apply for Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships.
You must apply to one of the following nominating bodies in the first instance – the CSC does not accept direct applications for these scholarships:
- National nominating agencies – this is the main route of application
- Selected non-governmental organisations and charitable bodies
Each nominating body is responsible for its own selection process and may have additional eligibility criteria. You must check with your nominating body for their specific advice and rules for applying, their own eligibility criteria, and their own closing date for applications.
All applications must be submitted with all mandatory fields completed by 16:00 (GMT) on 18 January 2021 at the latest.
Share This Post On: