Coimbra Group is now accepting applications from young researchers from Sub-Saharan Africa for its 2019/2020 Short Stay Scholarship Programme. The deadline for submission of applications for the Coimbra Group Short Stay Scholarship Programme is March 31, 2019.
Coimbra Group Universities have been providing, since 2008, young researchers from universities in Sub-Saharan Africa with the opportunity to spend a short period (generally 1 to 3 months) at a Coimbra Group University to carry out part of their research there.
The main aim of this scholarship programme is to enable scholars to undertake research in which they are engaged in their home institution and to help them to establish academic and research contacts. The scholarships are financially supported by the Coimbra Group member universities participating in this programme, while the Coimbra Group Office is in charge of the administrative management of the applications.
Coimbra Group Short Stay Scholarship Programme Eligibility
Applicants should be:
- Born on or after January 1, 1974
- Nationals of and current residents in a country in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Current staff members of a university or an equivalent higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Of doctoral/postdoctoral or equivalent status.
Eligible countries: all African countries except Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Morocco, and Tunisia (applicants from these countries are eligible under the Scholarship Programme for Young Researchers from the European Neighbourhood).
Coimbra Group Short Stay Scholarship Programme Participating Universities
The following Coimbra Group universities are participating in the 2019 edition of the scheme:
- University of Barcelona (Spain)
- University of Coimbra (Portugal)
- University of Cologne (Germany)
- University of Granada (Spain)
- University of Graz (Austria)
- University of Groningen (The Netherlands)
- KU Leuven (Belgium)
- University of Padova (Italy)
- University of Pavia (Italy)
- University of Poitiers (France)
- University of Salamanca (Spain)
- University of Siena (Italy)
How to Apply for Coimbra Group Short Stay Scholarship Programme
Interested candidates who meet the criteria listed above should apply by clicking on the “Apply” button below:
Note to Applicants:
- Applicants should provide the name and contact details of an academic supervisor in the receiving Coimbra Group University who will supervise their work during their stay abroad. If you do not have any contacts, they suggest you visit the website of your chosen institution or get in touch with the contact person whose email address is indicated in the brochure. The Coimbra Group Office is not in the position to provide assistance in this
- All applicants are requested to provide a letter/e-mail of acceptance (to be submitted together with your application) written by the head of the academic supervisor or administrative unit of the host university where you would like to carry out the proposed working plan. The letter should state that the supervisor is willing to work with you in case you obtain a Coimbra Group Scholarship
- Applicants can select one institution only. Multiple applications from the same candidate will be rejected
- Please fill in your application form only when you have all the data available (i.e. name of and letter of acceptance by supervisor at Coimbra Group University, etc.). Incomplete applications will be rejected, no exceptions will be made
- The dates of your stay should be agreed upon between the applicant and the academic supervisor at the Coimbra Group University. Typically this will be during the academic year 2019/2020.
Deadline for applying: 31 March 2019
Share This Post On: