Bitch Media is now accepting applications from writers worldwide for its 2020 Fellowships. Receive a $2,000 stipend for the three-month fellowship. The deadline for submission of application for Bitch Media Fellowships for Writers is 30th June, 2019.
Bitch Media, an independent, nonprofit feminist media organization now in its 23rd year, is pleased to offer the Bitch Media Fellowships for Writers, a series of three-month intensive writing fellowships whose goal is to develop, support, and amplify emerging, diverse voices in feminist, activist, and pop-culture media. The program is directed by Bitch cofounder Andi Zeisler.
Bitch Media’s mission is to provide and encourage an engaged, thoughtful response to mainstream media and pop culture. We strive to be a fresh, revitalizing voice in contemporary feminism, one that welcomes complex arguments and refuses to ignore the contradictory and often uncomfortable realities of life in an unequivocally gendered world. We publish the award-winning quarterly magazine Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture; we also feature daily online articles, interviews, opinions, and weekly podcasts at bitchmedia.org; and send speakers and workshop leaders to colleges and universities around the world through our Bitch on Campus program.
The fellowships were created in order to cultivate and amplify new voices. If you are a writer who has minimal publication experience, we strongly encourage you to apply. If you are passionate about one of the above subject areas but do not have a history of writing or blogging about them, we strongly encourage you to apply. If you are a writer still figuring out what subjects obsess you, we strongly encourage you to apply.
We are pleased to kick off the fifth year of our fellowship program. We seek fellows who are passionate, engaged, and interested in developing their unique voices for these four fellowships, each of which pay a stipend of $2,000 for the three-month period.
Fellows will work with Bitch Media during one of the following four quarters:
- January 1 – March 30
- April 1 – June 30
- July 1 – September 30
- October 1 – December 31
Fellows will work in one of four subject areas during the fellowship period:
- Sexual politics
- Pop-culture criticism
- Global feminism
During the 3-month fellowships, our fellows will:
- Produce a minimum of six online articles for Bitch Media in the topic area of their fellowship. These pieces can take a variety of forms: reported, analytical, advocacy-focused, and even infographic.
- Produce at least one longform article to be published in the quarterly magazine Bitch: A Feminist Response to Pop Culture.
- Participate in biweekly discussions (by phone or Zoom if fellows cannot meet in person) with the fellowship director and other members of the Bitch Media staff.
- Receive mentorship and support in creating, shaping, and editing articles and online pieces.
- Receive follow-up support with placing future articles and essays, and make great connections within the feminist-media community.
- Receive a $2,000 stipend for the three-month fellowship.
Bitch Media Fellowship Eligibility.
- Open to emerging writers around the world
- By “emerging” they mean a writer who has some experience writing for an audience (maybe school newspapers, a blog, regional or local writing or reporting, online sites, an awesome Twitter account), but who has not been published widely.
- Fellows can be located anywhere in the world, or at least anywhere with access to email and Skype.
- There is no set age limit.
How to Apply for Bitch Media Fellowships for Writers.
- Please be sure to read the FAQ’s before filling out your application.
- A cover letter of no more than 600 words that describes your interest in the fellowship area of your choice. What are the topics you’re passionate about?
- What are the facets and angles of this subject that you think are underreported and under-discussed elsewhere in the media?
- What unique experiences and perspectives will you bring to the topic?
- A CV (no more than 2 pages) that includes a list of any previous publications, if applicable. (You can still apply to a Bitch Media Writing Fellowship even if you don’t have any clips or prior publications).
- Three (3) relevant writing samples
- Short answer questions to help Bitch get to know you
Apply Before: 30th June, 2019.